Chapter 12: Rising Tension . . . (edited)

He smiled, displaying his sharp canines," I knew we would come to an agreement."

" Oh, hardly. What do you expect me to do for a year on your territory, sit on my ass under house arrest ?" I pushed.

Greg's smile fell," I don't believe you are really in a position to be making demands of me."

" I would argue that I should be allowed certain human comforts if you're going to force me to stay here."

" I'm not cruel, it isn't as if I was going to lock you in a dungeon for a year." He scoffed," But if you insist on making demands, I will do my best to meet them if you do something in return for me."

" What exactly do you want me to do ?" I cautiously asked.

" Help us get rid of Joradari when we track him down again."

I laughed," How do you expect me to help against that monster ?"

" Don't worry, I won't let you get hurt while facing him."

My mouth hung open," Do I look like the kind of girl who enjoys running into life threatening situations ?! Is this some kind of joke ?"

Greg stared at me for a moment before looking to the side and sighing, as if he was disappointed he couldn't throw me at a pyromaniac as bait for his own amusement.

" Fine, you can do chores around the pack house until we get rid of the Red Dawn."

This is probably the best deal I am going to get out of this asshole. I groaned.

" Fine."

He smiled," Okay, now then, what do you want ?"

I smiled and sat up in my chair," First, I would like my phone back. Second –"

" No." His deep voice interrupted.

" Why not ?"

" I will get you a new one to use, but I can't give you the old one back."

I stared at him for a moment before realizing," Did it break in the accident ?"

" Shattered."

" Can't you get it repaired, there's a lot of information I don't wanna –"

" Broken beyond repair." He interrupted," Second ?"

I huffed and rubbed my temples," My bag was in the crash too, I don't suppose my laptop survived either ?"

" I'll have someone go to the crash site and pick it up and I'll replace that if it's broken as well. Is there anything else you want ?"

I smiled," Just one more thing."

Operation make Greg's life difficult is officially underway.

Meanwhile, outside of the meeting room . . .

Alpha Wild and Petra were seated stiffly on a couch across from the three cabinet members of the Waters pack. Logan was standing next to his parents with his arms cross, restlessly tapping his foot.

Alec looked over at Marina, wordlessly asking a question to which she groaned and shrugged.

" Where the hell is Raph ?" Alpha Wild asked, desperately trying to break the awkward silence.

Petra shoved her elbow swiftly into her husband's side before offering a smile to the three wolves across from her," What my idio – lovely mate meant was that we haven't seen Viviane or Raphael in a few years and we used to be good friends so we wanted to see them again."