Chapter 45: Five Year Recap

" Our father killed my mate two years ago." A shadow was cast over his face so I couldn't see his expression.

I took a step back.

Our father . . . killed his son's mate ? I reeled. No way, he was a serial cheater, but never ruthless to anyone else's mates. What reason would he even have for -

" He didn't want to risk me succeeding the throne." He sighed," With you gone, I was next in line, and tradition states that I could challenge him at any point after finding my mate."

I couldn't speak. I wanted to, but no matter what I said, it would be wrong. Words failed me.

Varian had gone through enough with his mother, I had hoped he wouldn't have had to suffer through more than that. I turned my head to the side in shame.

It is my fault. I thought. I'm selfish.

" That look is exactly why he didn't want to tell you." Corine said as he placed his hand on my shoulder.

" What look ?" I snapped, shaking his hand off of my shoulder," I'm not looking at anyone."

" You're thinking it's your fault, or something. You think it would have been different if you were here." Varian said.

I avoided looking at Varian, and remained silent as I pressed my lips together.

" Now I'm sure you understand why I didn't want to tell you so soon." Varian said.

" Let's go sit down in my room." Mia said as she grabbed my hand and started walking," I don't think we want to spend the whole night talking in the hallway."

I allowed Mia to lead me into her room, and Varian and Corine followed closely behind.

I sat down on one of the couches across from her fireplace. She often had teas with many of the alpha's daughters to maintain good relations with them, it was one of the only diplomatic duties that she was given.

Corine and Varian sat across from each other in the two smaller couches to the side of the larger one that Mia and I were occupying.

I let out a shaky breath and leaned forward to put my elbows on my thighs to stabilize myself as I sighed and dragged a hand down my face.

" Do you want us to continue ?" Corine asked.

I looked over at him before glancing back at Varian, who immediately growled," Stop looking at me like that!"

I flinched and looked down," Look, I'm sorry -"

" I don't need your apologies, I need you to stop pretending like you were my mate's murderer before I start to blame you too." Varian said harshly.

" I'm not saying I killed your mate, just that if I was -"

" What would you have done if you were here ?" Varian leaned forward," I couldn't stop him, and I'm much more powerful than you who can't even shift. He would have killed her regardless, don't be so arrogant."

I sighed.

" You can't afford to let yourself get mired in regret." Mia said," Nothing our father does is our fault."

I wish I could think like that. I sighed. I wish I could sit here, reap all the benefits from every crappy thing my father does, and tell myself it's not my fault.

" Corine what else did he do ?"

Corine looked at Varian, who simply nodded and leaned back into his chair.

" I'll give you a short version to save time."

" I-" I started to protest when he stopped me.

" I know that isn't what you want, but I think it'd be easier to let you know the general sequence of events and go into detail when we have more time. Otherwise we'll be here all night, and I don't know about Mia or Varian, but I wasn't lying to father when I said I had paperwork to do." He rubbed the back of his neck and groaned," It's been piling up recently."