97

The seal of the Jameson Whiskey released a satisfying crack as Mitch twisted the cap off and poured two drinks. He was expecting company.

On cue, the brass knocker on the front door came down three times. Adam's head was swollen through the spyhole.

"How'd it go?" Mitch asked upon opening the door. Adam flashed him a wicked grin.

"Hook, line and sinker. He backed her all the way, like I said." He followed Mitch into the kitchen, accepting the drink.

"And there were witnesses?" Mitch arched a brow in question. Adam polished off the whiskey in one and proceeded to pour another as he replied.

"There are always witnesses. He couldn't give a shit anymore. I told you, she's made him soft."

Adam clearly held a deep seated animosity towards Madison, which was only one of the reasons Mitch had targetted him after Harvey filled them in on the effect she had on Jase.

"And Madison, what did she say?"

Adam puffed his cheeks and shook his head, topping Mitch's glass up.

"Nothing important, nothing useful. The girl can take a slap, I'll give her that," he replied, omitting the fact that she hadn't said anything because he hadn't given her the chance.

Madison being able to hold her own didn't suprise Mitch. She had had an unconventional childhood, for lack of a better description.

Her dad raised her on drills, talking her through police interview procedures, making her watch violent movies and take notes on what was purely cinematic and what was realistic. They had play fought often and Mitch had seen with his own eyes that Madison didn't get cut any slack because of her age or gender. Her dad rough housed the shit out of her and it was her idea of fun. He had primed her to survive these exact ordeals so Adam failing to draw out anything substantial had been expected. Still, he enjoyed the thought of pain being inflicted on her.

"What was her reaction when you showed her the picture?" he asked. Adam swirled the amber liquid in his glass, the ice cubes clinked against the sides.

"She laughed," he replied, still perplexed by her behaviour, knocking back his second drink.

He'd done several lines of Columbia's finest before going into the house earlier and was hoping the alcohol would mellow him out. The reminder of Madison's response to something he hoped would elicit terror, however, only set his blood to boil again.

He had waited down the road for Jase and Sam to leave, unfazed by Kieran and Tommy's presence. Neither of them had the gall to get in Adam's way effectively.

At first, when he'd wrenched her off the bed, Madison had fought ferociously, clawing at him, kicking and slapping until he shoved her onto the sofa.

"What the fuck is going on?" she'd demanded, looking to Kieran and Tommy for answers.

The pair had stood there, like deer in headlights, lips parted but no words coming out. They had been torn between defending Madison on Jase's behalf and respecting Adam's position in the hierarchy.

"Adam, whatever's happened, maybe you should wait-"

Adam had silenced Kieran with a murderous glare. "Wait for Jase to what? Do fuck all again?" He seethed, missing the apologetic glance Kieran sent Madison when he turned around. Madison ignored the remorseful expression. A silent apology meant nothing to her and whatever it was Adam had planned.

Kieran was a friendly face, his manners almost gentlemanly, but that didn't excuse his involvement in the house. She suspected he got a cut of the blood money like the rest of them.