41

The kitchen door opened, causing the girls to jump. Sam looked at them both, his eyes resting on Janine for a beat too long. She looked down at her lap. Madison's hold tightened around her mug. They looked guilty as sin and she was bracing for impact when he spoke.

"Upstairs now. There's another party tonight. You're welcome to join." It was said with a stiff edge but it was clear he was ignoring whatever he had just walked in on. Madison wondered if he'd have reacted the same way if it wasn't Janine she was talking to. They both stood up.

"Do they always have this many parties?" Madison asked as they walked upstairs.

"They're good for business. They sell a lot of their drugs at their parties."

Madison parted from Janine at the top of the stairs, heading to her room. She sat on the bed, facing the mirror and pursing her lips. Her wavy blonde hair cascaded past her shoulders to the bottom of her ribs. It had lost some of its shine and the stress had caused a noticeable amount to fall out. The once thick ropes of hair were thinner. And she looked tired, bags created shadows under her eyes. Her skin was paler than her natural complexion and the strict three meals a day meant she'd lost almost half a stone.

Girls are good in this business. It's surprising how much looking pretty lets you get away with. Look pretty, play dumb. It's a formula only women can get away with.

Her dad's words rang in her head.

She could hardly apply that formula looking like she did. Hesitantly, she made her way back downstairs, standing in the living room doorway.

The men had a customer with them, and her hands clammed at the realisation that she'd interrupted. Jase looked up from the scales he was piling cocaine onto, causing Sam and the stranger to look at her as well. The look on Jase's face had her heart in her throat. She immediately regretted returning downstairs without permission.

"What?" he asked with a bite to the 'T'.

Madison wrung her hands behind her back. "I was wondering if I could sit in Janine's room with her?" The other men looked at Jase. His jaw worked in irritation and then he turned back to the cocaine.

"Whatever, just stay upstairs." She quickly took herself out of sight, knocking on Janine's door.

"What's up?" she whispered through the gap, looking over Madison's shoulder to make sure no one was coming upstairs.

"Jase said I could come and sit with you," Madison replied. Janine narrowed her eyes but pushed her door open as a silent invitation.

"That's weird too," she mumbled, but Madison said nothing, looking around Janine's bedroom. She had a box of condoms sat on her bedside chest of drawers, next to a bottle of lubricant and baby wipes. Make-up lay scattered over her dresser. It was more like an actual bedroom than a prison.

"Can I use your make-up?" she asked, looking at Janine sitting at her dresser.

"Is that why you wanted to come in here?" Madison hummed, grazing over the collection of cosmetics.

"It gets boring in the room."

"At least you don't have to work," Janine said, grabbing a make-up wipe and running it over her face.

"What's it like?" Madison asked, "working?"

"For me? Not the worst thing in the world. I'm safer here than I was out there. I miss the rain and stuff, but at least I'm not getting in people's cars, going God knows where." Madison nodded, taking a wipe for herself. Janine moved up on the seat so she could perch on the end.

"Do you prefer it here because of Sam?" Madison asked. Janine shrugged. "Do you love him?"

"It's complicated," Janine said, a solemn look in her eyes.

"Want to talk about it?" Madison offered. She was digging for information but, at the same time, she wanted to be friends with Janine. The house was lonely and having just one person to have a conversation with would help keep her grounded.

For a few seconds, Janine remained silent. She thought of the times girls she had worked with before came through the house. How she'd learned not to hold anyone close because it was likely they wouldn't be there long. But she could only converse with Sam so much, and even then, even with their relationship, she couldn't be totally transparent.

"Sam was my first," she admitted. Madison's brows shot up involuntarily. "We went to school together. We were always close. He looked after me at school, you know?" She smiled though not out of happiness. The memory looked painful.

"How did you get here?" Madison asked.

"Just over two years ago, he saw me get out of someone's car, crying. They'd refused to pay, threatened to stab me, and kicked me out." Madison pressed her lips together, listening intently. Janine let out a weak laugh, looking up at the ceiling and blinking back tears. "He saved me. I know it sounds stupid because of the situation I'm in now, but he did. I'd had enough that night. I was ready to count myself out," she wiped her eyes, "Sam was always in the right place at the right time. He asked me what happened, and I told him the guy had threatened to stab me and wasn't paying. Sam pulled a gun on him. After that, he offered me a new job here, and took care of my boss. He explained all the rules but promised to look after me while I'm here." Her expression changed from nostalgic to serious. "He hasn't broken that promise. He even stood up to Jase and refused to let me have more than five customers a day. He lets me come downstairs when Benny isn't here, lets me pick my food." Her voice weakened at the end. Janine knew it was the bare minimum that a human deserved, but Madison didn't understand. "This house is the closest thing I've ever had to stability."

Her confession was moving, but it made Madison cautious. Janine's loyalties were evident, and Madison didn't want to go trusting the wrong people.

"Why are you giving me advice on Jase?" she asked. Janine quickly gathered herself, sniffing and sitting up straight.

"Because he's dangerous," she replied, not exactly answering the question. Madison nodded, turning back to the mirror.

"I'm aware of that. But you've got a pretty sweet setup here, all things considered, and you know you aren't supposed to say certain things to me, and yet, you do. Why?" she pressed on. Janine picked up a make-up brush, held it for a moment, and then turned to face Madison.

"He's an attractive man, and he treats you differently. Have you heard of Stockholm Syndrome?"

Madison laughed. "You think I'm going to fall in love with him?" Janine rolled her eyes, turning back to her reflection.

"It's not impossible, and it's not that crazy. As soon as he has you in his clasp, he'll treat you like a puppet. I was your age when I started working because I was sweet-talked into it by a man that told me he loved me. He had money troubles, and we were desperate to get away. It seemed like a quick fix. I don't want to see you go down the same rabbit hole."

Madison almost wanted to let her in on what was happening, but there was only so much she could expose Janine to without putting them both at risk.

"Well," Madison said, opening an eye shadow palette, "we'll just have to wait and see, won't we?"

"I don't know what you're playing at, Madison," Janine said, "but for the love of God, please be careful." They looked at each other in the mirror again. Janine was shrewd enough to know something was going on. Madison was grateful she didn't ask too many questions.