9

It was dark outside when Jase returned. Madison had no concept of time in the bedroom, only being able to take an educated guess from the colour of the sky. The toast hadn't been touched, the butter now a greasy film on soggy bread.

"I told you to eat," he said.

"And I said no," she replied. Jase huffed. He didn't have the energy to deal with her defiance.

"You need to line your stomach for later-"

"I'm seventeen," she interjected, finally breaking eye contact with the mirror and looking up at him in the doorway. "I'm not even old enough to drink." She wanted the comment to throw him, to humanise herself and remind him how young she was. It was a seed she needed to plant early. Jase wasn't an idiot, however. He'd been doing the job long enough to see straight through her. He crossed his arms.

"Right, you expect me to believe a seventeen year old is opposed to drinking at a time like this because it's against the law?" Madison said nothing. He shrugged. "Starve yourself then. People are arriving soon. When your door's unlocked, you'll come downstairs. You'll smile, giggle and flirt with the guests and you won't make a scene. No one here is interested in saving you."

Madison's nostrils flared at his arrogance, glowering in his direction as he left.

"Prick," she mumbled when he was out of earshot. If making herself more human in his eyes wasn't going to work, she would have to resort to blackmail.

*

Sorry for such a short chapter, it was longer but i've cut it down in the edit but I had to post it seperately so the comments sync up. Anywho, what do you think Madison is up to? Is it a wise decision to challenge Jase so early on or will it only land her in deep trouble?