18

"Half an hour in the bathroom," Sam said, opening Madison's door and waiting for her.

"Where's Jase?" she asked tentatively. She hadn't seen him for a few days, and it made her uneasy. When he was around, she was untouchable. Or, at least, he wouldn't put her in a position where she could snitch on him, even if the consequences would be worse for her. He'd practically spelled it out, he let her go, giving her the opportunity to report them. She knew his face, it would have been easy to identify him in a line-up and if she identified him, it would incriminate everyone else in the house. That was the mistake he'd made. That was why he didn't want the truth getting out, he'd lose everyone's trust and respect.

"What's it to you?" Sam replied, staring down at her like she was one of the fat black rats she would watch running around the docks her dad used to take her to. She could never tell her mum he took her there.

Madison walked to the open doorway,

"It was just a question," she mumbled and was abruptly halted in her tracks by his arm. The 1995 tattoo was staring her in the face, so close she could make out that the '1' wasn't quite straight. She looked up at him, trying her best to let him know she wasn't intimidated, even if it was a lie.

"Watch yourself," he warned. Madison bowed her head, disappearing into the bathroom the second he dropped his arm.

It was dark out when the door was unlocked again. Jase walked in, flicking the light on and disturbing Madison from one of the numerous naps she took throughout the day. There was nothing to do but sleep and scheme. He was dressed in all black from head to toe, a bandana hung from his tracksuit bottom pocket. Madison's throat constricted at the sight of it. He strode across the room, opening the wardrobe, rattling the hangers. Their metallic scraping caused Madison to wince, it made her gums feel chalky.

"Where the fuck has that gone?" he mumbled to himself, stepping back and staring at the clothes.

"What are you looking for?" Madison questioned. He turned, then pointed at her chest.

"That." She looked down at the black hoodie she had thrown on after her shower that morning.

"Sorry, it was in the wardrobe. I didn't think-" Jase cut her off, dismissing her apology with a wave of his hand.

"Just take it off and give it to me," he said, holding his hand out. She complied, subconsciously covering her chest with her arms. Jase glanced at her then grabbed another hoodie, pinging it off the coat hanger and tossing it to her. "Do you need to go to the toilet? We're going out. You won't get the chance to go again for a while." Madison shook her head, her stomach erupting with anxiety and excitement. A feeling that swilled and swished so much she was concerned her gluten free lunch would make a reappearance.

This was what she had been waiting for.

Jase patted down his pockets, checking for the necessities. Keys, phone, wallet- except it wasn't a wallet he pulled out, it was a switchblade. Madison wondered if he always carried it. When it was verified he had everything he needed, he took the bandana and tied it around the lower half of his face. Madison's breath caught.

Now he looked identical to the night he had let her go.

The cold hand of fear crept up her spine.

The only thing she hadn't figured out about that night was why? If they had been paid to take her, why had he let her go? A small sliver of her wondered whether he had let her slide intentionally. For whatever reason, he had wanted to save her and that's why he hadn't let Adam loose on her yet. The idea was immature, a mind corrupted by happy endings and chick-flick bad boys. Her dad would be mortified if he discovered she even considered it a possibility that Jase had been briefly touched by an angel when she had bumped into him.

"And what happens when violence knocks and naivety answers?" he would ask her. There wasn't space to see only the good in people and give them the benefit of the doubt.

Jase had no saving graces, certainly not the one good deed he did by refraining from abducting her. Madison couldn't afford to entertain the notion that Jase was made up of anything but ill-intent and self-preservation.

She didn't ask why he'd let her go before he left because it didn't matter. Nothing mattered except getting out.

*

A question for those of you that don't know, why do you think Jase let her go that night in the alley? Did he have a moment of weakness or is there more to it? What kind of man do you think Madison's dad is, to ask his daughter those kinds of questions? I look forward to reading your theories in the comments. Please don't forget to vote!