February 11, 2027

Start from the beginning

"Because they'll never tell," Natasha interrupted Clint.

"It's true," Rhodey added.

"I have an algorithm," Vision eventually came in. "After analyzing past behavioral patterns, it seems to be James an-"

"I get the idea that it's Cap," Tony popped in. "Just his demeanor and all that, the way he talks to people."

"Just because Barnes is quiet and used to be shy around everyone doesn't mean he... well," Wanda answered. "Just look at me. I used to be shy, but I'm the strongest Avenger."

"That's debatable," Banner told her and she just smiled.

"All right, we can't decide," Tony cut in. "Let's take a poll. Raise a hand if you think it's Cap."

It was 6: Tony, Clint, Hope, Scott, Rhodes and Vision.

"And, Barnes?" Tony proposed.

It was 3: Banner, Wanda and Natasha.

"Looks like it's Cap, then; I guess I was ri-"

"Uhm, you didn't give me enough time to raise my hand," Bucky pointed out.

"Me either," I joined him.

"Apologies," he said. "Please, enlighten us."

"Can those for me raise their hands again?" I requested. They did. "Okay, now, those for Bucky."

They did, only, this time, Bucky raised his hand too.

Everyone started yelling and there was some serious uproar.

"I think that's enough about our private lives for one day," Bucky stated, placing a hand on my thigh for literally everyone to notice. "We should get going."

"Agreed," I replied, putting my hand on top of his.

We made our way down the elevator and headed out of the building for the street. It had rained and the sky was dark, the air thick and full of that telltale New York City scent.

"Where'd we park again?" I wondered as he took my hand in his and we started walking aimlessly.

"I don't remember, but, does it matter?" he replied, looking over at me with a child-like ambition stirring within his eyes.

"Not in the slightest," I smiled at him, directing us to the right, down East 45th street towards Grand Central Station and away from Stark Tower and the Baxter Building.

We were wandering amongst all the people there in the night, surrounded by car sounds and puddle splashes alike, without a care in the world because no one knew us, somehow. It felt like we were covered in night: no stars above, only rain droplets; no surrounding sound, only thick air; no people around, only us.

"Remember that time we ran out into the middle of the street and chased each other on that rainy day all those years ago?" He wondered.

"I do," I recalled. "Just thinking about that now, though, about how strange it is that we could do something like that on just a rainy day when, now, it's the same thing but the streets are still full as ever."

"Not all of them," he reminded me, tugging me a long with him as we crossed East 45th street, approaching a little side-street.

We walked up the simple concrete stairs there were, approaching Lea Wine Bar on our left. There was a significant lack of people there and, well, I suppose he was right. There were still some places left in The City that were untouched.

There was someone walking the other way and towards us and... well, actually, it looks like they're coming at us? Wait-

He stopped in front of us, somehow taller than we both were, and said nothing. The New York nightlife was something else, but this guys was just looking at us.

"Can we help you?" I asked, as he wouldn't let us pass.

"A couple'a faggots like youse wanna help me?" he scoffed in his New York accent.  "Please."

Bucky laughed. "What did you just say to me?"

"I was talking to ya pansy ass boyfriend," he pointed at me.

I looked over at Bucky with a smile on my face, both of us remembering the last time this happened and the way that ended up.

"Fiancée, actually," I corrected him calmly.

"That's disgusting," he spat. "How d'ya live with ya'self?"

I chuckled. "Excuse us," I moved to go past him.

"Where d'ya think youse're goin'?" he near-yelled, pushing me and disconnecting Bucky's hand from mine after catching us both off guard.

"You better back off, pal," Bucky warned him.

He scoffed. "What're you gonna do about it?" he shoved him.

Everything went red. I couldn't see straight, because enough was enough. You can break my soul, take my life away, beat me, hurt me, kill me, but for the love of God, don't touch him.

I grabbed him by his lapel and shook him where he stood. "You have no idea what I'm capable of," I pushed him gently and he took a few steps back. "You better walk away from this, because I'm far too angry to give a damn about such a sorry life like yours."

"At least I got a better life than youse, I ain't no fairy, after all," he added, walking back up to me and sticking his chest in my face.

I smiled to myself. I grabbed his shirt and lifted him up off the ground, much to his surprise. He started waving his arms around and trying to kick me so I'd let him go, so I did. He nearly fell to the ground.

"What are you?" he looked at me, horrified.

I smirked. "Your worst nightmare, bud."

He snickered. "I doubt that," he swung at my head and I ducked, standing tall before him anew.

"Really?" I asked, wailing him with an uppercut from Hell, sending him flying into the air before he hit the ground harder than I anticipated. "I don't."

He tried to sit up, still dazed. "Lesson for the future: don't go around ranting about stuff like that- especially if you don't know who you're dealing with."

"I ain't d-done with you m-mattress munchers," he stumbled, trying to stand up.

"Well," I looked at Bucky with a smile. "While I could do this all day... we gotta get going."

"Good luck with your life," Bucky looked back at him, still on the ground, as we walked away.

"What?" I asked as we got far enough away and out of his sight, noticing he was watching me.

"I just... it was like a switch in your brain went off like last time this happened, though, now you got the brawn to actually carry out on what you're feeling."

"Gotta admit, it feels kinda good, too," I replied.

He stopped and pulled my hands into his, tugging me closer. "It was hot, too, just saying."

I chuckled and kissed him, openly and in the middle of the side-street... even though there wasn't anyone else there to see other than us and a passed out homophobe a ways away.

Oh well.

—————

As much as I hate picking fights with people, I feel this one was warranted... right?

Yea. He had it coming.

~ S. Rogers