June 4, 2012

Dear Diary,

When everything finally came into focus, I realized immediately that it had actually worked. We had arrived in New York in 2012 right in the middle of Thanos' first attack through Loki with the Chitauri.

Rocket and Thor had to have arrived at Asgard, 2013 by now, too... as well as Rhodes and Nebula at Morag, 2014 and... Natasha and Clint at Vormir, 2018.

This all felt unreal, but, in reality, it couldn't have been more opposite of that.

—————

"All right," I started, the Team Suit disappearing to reveal my old Captain America uniform. "We all have our assignments. Two Stones uptown, one Stone down. Stay low, keep an eye on the clock." We all turned and watched as the Hulk from 2012 came running down the street to destroy a bunch of stuff in the street. Banner hid in humiliation. "Maybe smash a few things along the way," I told him.

He ripped his shirt off and walked past us. "I think it's gratuitous, but whatever." He started roaring quietly and gently throwing stuff. I had to hold back my laughter.

We made our way to Stark tower and Tony radioed me about what was going on in there. "Better hustle, Cap, things look like they're just about wrapped up here."

"Got it," I replied. "I'm approaching the elevator now."

"Ugh," Tony scoffed. "Mr. Rogers, I almost forgot, that suit did nothing for your ass."

"No one asked you to look, Tony," I answered, utterly confused as to why he was looking at my former, and probably current, ass.

"It's ridiculous," Tony commented further.

"I think you look great, Cap," Scott replied. "As far as I'm concerned, that's America's ass." A few moments later, the S.T.R.I.K.E. team came up the elevator to take Loki's Scepter. "Who're these guys?" he wondered.

"They are S.H.I.E.L.D.," Tony responded. "Well, actually HYDRA... but we didn't know that yet."

"Seriously?" he sounded baffled. "You didn't? I mean, they look like bad guys."

"You're small, but you're talking loud," Tony reminded him. "Oh. Alright, you're up little buddy. There's our stone."

"All right," Scott acknowledged. "Flick me."

"All right, Cap," Tony spoke a few moments later. "I got our Scepter in the elevator just passing the 80th floor."

"On it," I pressed the elevator button and awaited the arrival of the car. "Head to the lobby."

"All right, I'll see you there," he replied.

The door eventually opened and everyone looked at me like I was ruining everything.

"Captain," Jasper Sitwell regarded me. "I thought you were coordinating search and rescue."

"Change of plans," I said, pressing the button on the inside and watching the doors close before me.

"Hey, Cap," Rumlow greeted me.

"Rumlow," I replied, looking over at him. I watched the man in front of me grab his gun at the holster at his side as a precaution, so I decided to start my piece. "I just got a call from the secretary. I'm gonna be running point on the Scepter."

"Sir?" Jasper turned around and looked at me. "I don't understand."

"We got word there may be an attempt to steal it," I explained.

"Sorry, Cap," Rumlow started rudely. "We can't give you the Scepter."

"I'm gonna have to call the director," Jasper added, reaching for his phone.