16. Unreal

It was dark.

Dark and creepy. As dark as the sky on a moonless and starless night. She struggled frailly for some light. The dreadful feeling that something was not right overtaking her entire being. A feeling she could not understand at all.

Weakly fluttering her sooty black lashes open, she squints as the lights reach her eyes. They must have been shut for a very long time because the room she was in was not at all bright.

It smelled like a thousand rats and roaches lived in that room. That, mixed with the horrible and puking stench of urine. She might as well be in the sewers.

On the moss-ridden stone walls around her was glowing red-green algae. The only piece of furniture in sight was a dingy and rusty old table. The source of light was a tiny ray emitting from a small, fist-sized hole on the wall to her right.

On the table was a broken nightshade, and a few books cluttered all over its surface. There was also an eerie non-stop drip-drop sound that she could not pinpoint its source.

Hearing a tiny squeak, she jerked her head toward the source of the sound.

They land on a brown rat.

A rat that was about twice the size of her clenched fist.

It was nibbling care-freely on what looked like a rotting half-eaten doughnut.

Due to her hate for rats, she tries to make her way towards it. Just so she could scare it away. But then something pulls her back. She takes a while to glance at her body wondering why she could not move.

She held her breath as she saw the condition she was presently in. She was cuffed on one hand to a pole by her left and both her legs were tied up in skin-burning ropes.

She felt a burst of excitement as her adrenalin levels spiked instantly. The only thought on her mind was to find a way to escape, and fast. Before her abductors got back to check up on her.

******

It had been 139 minutes and 23 seconds since Ivor had received the reply from Chloe and she still had not arrived at his home.

He could not shake off the dreadful feeling that she was not okay and needed his help.

So he started his car and went on a search for her.

That was, after telling his kid sister Wendy, to go over to her mother's Bakery and check to see if Chloe was there.

Just in case she had decided to not come after all.

Recalling the location where she had said she was, he turns his car into the main road leading to the Mart. His heartbeat thumping, hoping she was fine, and his hunch was wrong.

******

Chloe moved forward but is- once again- thrown backward by the rocking chair her abductors had oh-so wisely tied her right hand too.

She hears footsteps and raises her eyes to meet with those of one of her captors. It was a boy. A young boy. Probably a year or two older than she was.

He had a party mask on his face to conceal his identity and was dressed in a red cotton shirt with blue ripped jeans.

His hair was covered up in a grey and white striped bobble hat so she would not be able to make him out from his hairstyle and hair color in the future.

"Look who's up Chain!" She heard someone say from behind her.

She tilted her paining neck backward sharply to catch a glimpse of the second guy.

Resting under the cover of darkness against the neatest wall in the room, a bit shorter than the first and holding a can of Monster energy drink with his right leg crossed over his other leg.

He was clad in a brown leather jacket and red jeans. He also had his party mask on, and in place of a bobble hat, he wore a baseball hat.

"What do you want with me?' she asked turning over to face Chain.

"To deliver a message. From our boss to you... " his voice was deep and scary.

"Who is your boss?" She pried in a mouse-like voice

"You are in no position to question us!!" Baseball hat thundered suddenly and she hiccupped in fear.

Chain, who she guessed had a devious smirk on his face, was already nose to nose with her.

She tilted her head away from him mostly because he smelled badly of cigarettes and coffee but he turned her head over to his direction with ease. Licking his bottom lip lustfully as he watched her quiver in fear, almost in tears.

"The message is simple... " he said, pressing her cheeks firmly between his right thumb and index fingers.

"There is something that you have that does not belong to you..." he let his voice trail off.

"Give it up or next time, we won't go so easy on you... "

She was about to ask him what he meant but was cut off when she felt a sharp and pricking pain in her neck region.

With all the strength she had left in her, she turned towards Baseball hat who was holding a syringe in his hand with a maniacal laughter erupting from his throat and his body shaking in excitement of what he had just done.

Somewhere in the cover of darkness and under a hood, a female stood with a victorious smirk etched on her face. Happy to see that her message had been delivered.

Meanwhile, as Chloe's eyes shut into the blackness, she hoped and prayed that once they re-opened, this would all be a bad dream.

Never really reality.

A/N:

So... what do you think? Who exactly is the boss of Chain and Baseball hat? Is it maybe...I don't know. . . try guessing...

Trivia question- so far into the storyline, who is your favorite villain and hero?

If you love this story, then do not hesitate to vote it and do add it to your reading list plus library, so you get to receive update notifications.

You can also follow me to receive news on it, I'll always follow back.

Thank you for your love, support, and comments... I am glad to know that you love my book enough to follow through with it.

For now, I'll just continue eating my doughnut and strawberry yoghurt while creating a new chapter. As for you, I need you to sit tight, vote and comment and also,
please tag 5 people to read this story along with you here - - - - - >