I used to be able to easily throw him over my shoulder and cover his body with mine. He's much taller and bigger now. He can look me eye to eye without having to step on my toes to kiss me as he once did before. Since when had it become like that?

"Do not tell me you have eyes for our Alpha? Of all people... Lunas be good, Seth..." he sighs. "He will reject you. You look too much like— " His eyes widen as it finally dawns on him. "You're... "

"I am," I say close to pained at this point.

"Then that makes you his mate! You're our— "

"I'm not his mate. Not anymore. But we are mates." 

 "Why didn't you say anything?"

"Yorin, don't. Lance and I... Right now, there are a lot of misunderstandings I'm trying to clear up, but before I can do that, I must reconcile with him. On his own time... When he is ready, that is."

"Seth, forgive me for saying this, but he is a rather stubborn individual." 

I smile at this as a little laugh comes from me. He's still exactly the same. 

"It would be an eternity if it's on his time," Yorin finishes.

"He wouldn't look at me for some time. He has ignored me. He won't talk to me and, surely, he doesn't want to be alone with me," I point out. "He has his very own special way of torturing me, Yorin. Once he feels as though I had enough, he'll open up for conversation. That's just the way he is. How he's always been."

"I see." He rubs his forehead and sighs. "Mates, huh... " His lips upturn into a smile. "Somehow, I can see how you would fit well with him." 

My smile turns into a grin at this comment. He is meant for me and I am meant for him no matter how much he tries to resist or deny that.

"I knew that young were coming here would bring us great fortune! If you are mated here you will bring the North and The Reds of the Woods together under kinship!" I look at him with furrowed brows as he claps.

"I will just have to help with this, now won't I?" 

I never thought of our union of as something beneficial to others before coming here. It was more of a burden, hinderance, and even a crime for us to be together but here... Here we could, truly, have something.

________________________

I watch Kaj and Jakob pace around the room. They're worrying about their friends, I know. It'd be a miracle if all of them come back unscathed. However, they were taught by me. They just might be lucky. 

"Kaj, Jakob, have a seat. You're beginning to make me feel uneasy," I say. 

Kaj's gray eyes meet with mine, but I turn my attention to Jakob after a couple of seconds. "They will be fine. Under my guidance, they should all come back." Jakob stares at me until he finally decides to sit down along with Kaj. 

My eyes stray to the door we're supposed to guard and back to them now that they're staying still. For the past three hours they were doing just that and every back and forth they did brought Lance's scent to my nose driving me close to insane. I continue to nibble at my bottom lip and mess around with my hands already getting nervous at the thought of seeing him again.

"You seem a little... "Jakob tries to find a word.

"Different," Kaj remarks with a bit of a bite. 

"Different?"

 I continue to nibble on my lip as his scent goes through my nose making me all the more anxious. Kaj gives me a questionable look. Jakob decides to ignore us both and bends his head down in prayer to Lunas, the moon god.