[6]

I show the younger, northern wolves how to pin a much bigger were down. I know a scrimmage is coming soon and I know some of these faces that I became so used to seeing may not be seen again after that. It's the way things work. Getting attached is dumb and reckless.

"You are my star pupil!" I roll my eyes as I try to stop an oncoming laugh. Of course, he would try to take credit for things I already know. He knows the real, partial reason why I'm doing this. "Why not lead them?"

"No."

"And why not? You've seen war before. You killed weres plenty of times. Do not hide behind false morals, Seth."

I shake his arm off me.

"Morals? Don't make me laugh. You very well know who I am and what I've done."

He nods his head and looks at me with softer eyes. "Then what is the reason?"

"I have to stay here. Near him."

"He's well protected and guarded. Nothing will ever happen to him." Yorin coughs and walks away but I catch his arm.

"You're right. Nothing ever will because I'll be here. I'm more useful here than out there. These are your wars not mine and I do not want to bring my pack into unnecessary misunderstandings."

"True enough. Kaj, You and Jakob will guard the Alpha while Laef, Arne and I make sure the greenbloods are well looked after. There has been minimal rogue activity, but be wary and keep a good eye out."

He gives me a small smile and nudges me.

After a month and a half, he is finally showing some trust in me.

"My son is off limits."

I start laughing as he shoves me off the bench with a strong, burly hand. I knew it was coming.

"I see the way you look at him, pup."

"Hah?" I barely look at the guy unless we're talking or practicing. Sometimes my eyes wander, but whose doesn't? My wolf has no interest in him and neither do I.

"Off limits," he growls and I nod not bothering to argue over that issue anymore.

"Alpha." Yorin turns around and kneels.

I stand up and brush some dirt off my clothes before lowering my eyes. Fighting back the need to touch him is like fighting the need to breathe. It's suffocating and torturous.

"Alpha," I mumble keeping my eyes lowered to the ground. Waves of anger, confusion, and more anger, come wafting towards me from Lance.  I can tell he didn't like to be referred to as Alpha by me. I have no choice but to call him just that. Yorin is right beside me. Lance outstretches his hand towards me, but quickly covers it up by combing his hair back and turns his attention to Yorin as he begins speaking. 

His voice is as smooth as a river stone and much deeper than the ocean, it seems like. Everything becomes more pronounced and much clearer like the sound of the  streams and birds in the air. Even the smell of him and every bat of his eyes. 

"Is something wrong, Seth?" Yorin asks causing me to rub my forehead and look at him. 

"... I'm fine."

Lance stops speaking and gazes into my eyes. Even without touching, I could feel the slight sparks emitting from our prolonged eye contact. I can feel myself sinking and drowning in them. My body is growing hotter and hotter by the second from the incessant need to touch him.

"Do you need me to go?" Yorin asks reading the atmosphere causing Lance to blink and look at him like he just said the vilest thing. 

"There's no need. Have the men ready." He gives Yorin one last look and glances at me before turning back around from where he came from.