[31]

The further I walk from my grandfather's pack the greater my reluctance becomes to walk any farther. Reality is setting in, and I don't want it to. It makes my decision too real— too permanent. It hasn't even been a day yet and I am missing him already. I ignore the aches in my legs and push further. Handling this myself will keep Lance out of harms way. That's what I want and always wanted. There is no going back. 

 I continue my trek through the frost. not realizing how much time has gone by already until it is already night with the sun peaking up from the horizon of trees and mountains. Now left with only my thoughts, they linger on why the clan was even still in the forests and woods. Long ago, it was said that the clansmen and the tribesmen made a treaty. The tribesmen would stay in the forests and the clansmen would leave to the towns and cities. However, they were still there. The thought bothered me, so I try and push it to the further recesses of my mind, but it keeps popping back up. 

Why? Well, the answer is simple. It's because of what lies beyond the Red Woods. Xavier wants what is there even if he did not know what it is yet. The only way to get there is through the Red Woods or the sea. I smirk. Vampires stay clear away from the sea because they can't swim. So that is where I come in... and Lance... My eyes narrow. Now it's all beginning to make sense. 

I shield my eyes from the dawning sun. When I look up a sinking knowing feeling fills my gut and leaves me with a nauseous stomach. Still, the determination to see this through to end it takes over. My feet move on their own into the entrance to where I once called home with bitter emotions swimming through my head. 

Like clockwork I see many of my clansmen appearing from the shadows of buildings and windows that littered the sides of the walkways. My scent gives me away each time. Smelling like Lance and his father doesn't help either. 

"Brother! You are home again, as I thought you would be," Xavier says with clasped hands. His face is alight with fake excitement making my mood go from bad to worse. "You always do come back... huh, little brother."

I suck on the inside of my cheeks and narrow my eyes in distaste of this entire situation. It is for Lance and Emery. I can do anything if it is for them, I reason with myself. 

 "I see you left with Lance as I thought you would," Xavier says. 

"Well, it seems you know it all. What else is there for me to say?" 

"You humor me, little brother."

I only stare at him in response, too tired of him to conjure up another word. More and more of my clansmen surround me. I pay it no mind. Instead, I let my eyes wander around trying to figure out the best escape route when things go bad. It was not a matter of if but when because they always do. Always. 

"Since you agreed to the deal and even have taken the liberty to take Lance back to your god forsaken pack, I need you to make good on your end now." 

I close my eyes trying my best not to roll them or show any signs of me regressing. 

"Yes, I did agree and I'll uphold my promise to you. However, I never promised to bring anyone else. Just you."

A couple clansmen steps forward, but Xavier held his hand out stopping everyone from progressing towards me. It didn't scare me or dissuade me from taking back what I said. His little threats no longer bothered or cowed me. I have more than myself to think about. And I am not the same person as I once was—wanting the respect and affections of my brother and father. 

"Just me." Xavier smiles and claps. "Very well then. Just me it is."

Just as I am about to turn and walk back out, Xavier stops me with his hand on my shoulder and forces me to look back at him.