[16]

Today is like any other day. Lance doesn't treat me any differently than before. The talk I had with Kaj a couple days ago slowly makes it way back into my mind, causing me to consider the actual thought of having to let go of what was before. It leaves a bitter taste in my mouth, but it is a thought and an actual possibility.

Lately, since that time, I've been seeing him around with Dani again. It makes my stomach turn and my heart twist in my chest, but there is nothing I can do about it. If he wants to be with someone else... I have to accept that. After all, I had been with someone for three years. I lean my head against my arm and close my eyes, willing away the thought. 

My head pops up as I see Dani walking towards the pack house angrily as Lance follows close behind her. 

"Dani--"

"No."

"He means nothing to me."

Dani whips her head around and slaps him across his cheek causing some onlookers to stop and stare before going on with their business. Lance only holds his hand to the place she had slapped and closes his eyes. 

"Nothing to you? Nothing to you?" she asks, growing angrier by the second. "Anyone with eyes can tell that is not the truth and I will not be used."

"I would never use you."

"You probably don't mean to... I'd like to believe that but stop this. Stop running away from your feelings and just accept them as they are."

"I can't," I hear him say which only causes her to sigh. "I said I never would again... I said that. You heard me." 

"Lance... " 

"He has hurt me so much... and I don't want to feel that way ever again." 

"So you are afraid?" 

"Afraid?" He shakes his head. "I'm not some young, naive kid anymore who'd put up with being lied to, used, and put on the back burner as he went and did whatever he wanted with multiple people. I have some self-respect for myself now. I know what's important and it isn't him." 

"I'm confused," Dani mumbles, "here I thought it was Seth who was the ass."

"Dani--"

"I know he's hurt you... I know he has, but the very least you can do is hear what it is he has to say before making a decision as big as the one you are saying. It isn't just about you anymore. Whether you like it or not, Emery really likes him. You'll have to deal with one another and not act like some bitter, old couple." 

"Of all people... I did not see you as someone pushing me towards him... "

"I'm not pushing you toward anyone. You did that yourself," she barks. "And I won't be used as some kind of scapegoat to bury those feelings either." 

"It isn't like that." 

"Why imagine other people as him when here he is in the flesh?" 

My eyes lower taking in all of their conversation along with some people passing by them. 

"Dani," Lance growls.  

"Don't act like you hadn't. I thought you would get over him, eventually, so it didn't matter. Or, at least, so I said to myself. But it's never going to happen. I realize that now. He can go thousands of miles away from here, but he's all you will ever see and want. Admit it now or later, I don't care." 

She opens the door and slams it before Lance has a chance to walk in. I try my best to walk away as if I didn't hear a word, but I feel a pair eyes on me within seconds. They bore holes in my back and it feels like if I don't turn around, they'll set the rest of me on fire.