[21]

I stand by, watching as Lance brushes and straightens Emery's shirt before combing through his hair. Even though he is doing his best to hide it, I see his anxiety of Emery being away from him as present as the lowering sun. Emery takes his hand away and looks back out towards where the old man is standing. 

Lance mumbles something near his ear. In a quick moment, Emery has his arms wrapped around Lance's neck and kisses his cheek. 

"I'll be fine."

"You're barely four and you think you know everything and can do everything by yourself... " 

"I love you and I will be back, I promise," Emery says while holding each side of Lance's face with his hands. Emery gives him a kiss and moves away from him. "I will," Emery reassured him. 

It was pretty cute seeing them this way when the roles should kind of be reversed. Lance loves him a lot and I understand why he's so worried. It's his first time being away from him like this when he is usually always so close. 

"Okay," Lance says as he moves away from Emery and lets him walk over to the Old Man and the others. 

The smile on his face is as bright as ever no matter how hard he tries to muster it down for Lance's sake. I take this opportunity to walk over to them, wanting to see my grandfather off. "Ah, my handsome great grandson. You look nothing like your other father, but I see the Red in you." The Old Man bends down to his level and smiles. "You are just as precious if not more, my dear boy." 

I look back at Lance fiddling with his fingers. Of course, he's not happy with this. I know people who he loved had hurt him. Lunas, even I had, but he must know the Old Man would never do a thing to him or Emery, especially not Emery. Not when he's of his blood. My eyes go back to the Old Man and Emery just as they came from a hug.

"Come say hello to your Great Aunt and your other kin now. Don't be shy," the old man said as he brought him over to the others. 

He stops and looks at me.

"Do not go looking for trouble and do not bring that trouble to me, Seth."

"I'm not." 

"Since Lance will not bother to ask for my help, I will not bother to ask if he needs it."

"You're being harsh."

"He hid my great grandson from me. After everything I had done for him, why would he think I would ever hurt him or my blood? Yes, now I feel some kind of emotion towards him, but it will fade. Like you, I can never stay angry with him for long."

I nod and look at Lance. 

"You should have done what needed to be done before you went and found him." 

"I should have," I mumble.

"So do it later."

"What is later when things are going to become complicated soon?"

"You need Lance to trust in you. Would this not be breaking it?"

"I am doing this for him."

"So he has the right to know."

"I am sure he does not need more to worry abo--"

"You finally regained his trust and his love, do not throw it all to the wind for some sort of power trip." Before I can say anything back, he walks away with a smile toward the others. He is brusque as he always has been. Why did I expect him to change after all these years, I wonder. 

I walk over to Lance, watching him fidget. He is doing his best to suppress his desire to take Emery back, but I see it in his eyes. I wrap my arms around his waist bringing him into a quick hug and soon lead him away from the forest and back to the village.