[34]

The more I spoke to Cassius, the less weary I become. He knew after an hour passed I was becoming concerned about Emery being away from me for so long in a foreign place, so he moved our conversation outside where they were playing without me even having to say a word. I continue gazing at the two struggling to to untangle the mess of string they created, making me smile. Finally, a friend.

Someone came from the inside and delivered water to where we sat, bringing my attention back to Cassius and the comfortable silence that formed between us. 

"You know, Ren has always been good getting along with others, but I have never seen him so attached to someone like this before," Cassius says withholding  a smile. "He's stuck to him like glue, and I adore it." 

I look at the glass of water, watching drops serpentine down the sides. "Yeah, Emery has that way about him... " I mumble.

"Have you given any more thought to what I said?" 

"About them? An arranged marriage?"

Cassius grabs his glass and takes a sip before nodding. 

"It is not something I can decide on my own. My mate, Lance, I'd have to discuss it with him first." 

"That is fair." His eyes slid back to the children before looking back at me.  His fingers begin drumming on the table as if ruminating over a silent question. Soon a small silence falls between us. It is not uncomfortable, but I still feel the need to fill the silence with something, anyway. 

"He is quite protective of him. I am not sure how he will react to all this considering the situation and how we were brought here." 

Thinking about it now... Lance will be extremely pissed. I, of all people, know what is like to be on his bad side. I wonder... will Lance treat him in the same manner? His worry for Emery can make him unpredictable... 

"I can speak with him," Cassius says as he takes another sip of his water.  

I let out a nervous chuckle. "I don't know about that." 

"Trust me, I can be persuasive." 

Emery comes running towards me, breathless, but in high spirits. He is overflowing with excitement and giddiness as he shows me the kite he and his new friend painstakingly built after numerous failed attempts. 

"And I did this... and this part too, But Ren helped me with that part. And this part too." 

All I can do is smile as he goes on and on about what he did and how he thought of the idea and how it works. His happiness is infectious. It is all I want him to ever be. It is better a were here than back in my pack or Lance's, for the matter. Already he is getting along so well with one. He would be happy here. Here... I eye Cassius who has nothing but a I-told-you-so smile waiting for me. 

It is not much longer before Ren makes his way over to his. He speaks to Cassius briefly before getting Emery's attention again, wanting him to play more. Ren is definitely not shy which balances out Emery's shyness quite well. Emery gives Ren a shy smile as he tugs him towards another thing he has built.  

"Many things are out of our control once they start to grow older and face a world that can be harsh and unforgiving. However, we can nurture this. This one, singular thing that is within our control, for now. When they grow older it can be up to them to decide whether they want to marry or not. How does that sound?"

"... You are persuasive. I see where your son gets it from."

Cassius laughs and gives me the same charming smile I noticed on Ren. He is practically his carbon copy.