[14]

Lance did what he always does when I am getting just a tad bit closer; he pushes me away. However, Yorin had told me not to give in so easily and I won't. I will give him his space to think, to assess everything as it is. Then I will wait, and he will come to me when he has come to an answer. I won't pressure him or complain about how things are versus how they used to be before. He's not the same, but neither am I. 

My eyes gaze over the room I'm in. A bunch of weres sat around on small stools and stumps from trees as Yorin continues on with his plans of retaliation. Though I'm listening, my mind is somewhere else as it always is these days.

I can't help but think that his mouth is very much the same. And his lips and fingers and touch. The way he smiles and laughs. Those are all the same as well. He has changed, yes, but somewhere deep down inside he is still the man I had fallen in love with then and who I'm falling in love with all over again now. I cover my mouth as I notice how my cheeks are beginning to burn at the very thought of him.  Hopelessly in love with him again, I think as I shake my head. 

"Se... " I hear bits and pieces of Yorin's voice before he shouts across the room at me.

"Seth!"

I stand up immediately and mumble out an apology causing the room full of weres to erupt into laughter. It's like being in school all over again, and Lunas, how I hated it. 

"Glad to have your attention. Although it's not fully needed, you do need to know the role you will be playing when we leave." 

"I apologize," I say again, embarrassed. 

"You all are dismissed," Yorin says in a dispassionate voice. As soon as I start to leave, he grabs my arm keeping me in place. "But you stay here." 

Everyone leaves out the room in silence. When the room was clear, Yorin lets go of my arm and gives me a passive smile. 

"Dani and you are responsible for Emery."

"What?"

"If things go south there at the truce, as they tend to always do, you are responsible for him from here on out until we come back. Do you understand?"

"Wait, no. I really am not getting this--"

"They know he has a son and will try to use him as a bargaining chip if they are somehow able to  take him from here, Seth. Are you so slow now?" 

"I get it." 

"Good." I grab Yorin's arm as he is about to leave out the door. "What?"

"Promise me you will not let a thing happen to him."

"I do not know the details of the past history you and he shared together, but he can take care of himself." 

I shake my head and tighten my hold on him.

"He acts like he can," I correct. "If things get tense... take him from there." 

"He is an Alpha. He--"

"He is my mate."

"Was."

"Is. He still bears my mark. He is still mine," I growl. "And if something happens to him-- If something happens to him, I will not forgive you. He is doing this for you and your people, sacrificing himself as he always has done." 

"Seth... "

"Nothing can happen to him. I don't care if I mean nothing to him. I don't. He still means the world to me. Bring him back here, safely. Promise me you will." 

Yorin finally nods after a couple seconds of silence. "I will." 

He starts for the door and I follow him out.