Chapter 9

"I'm Rachel" she said. Devonte's mouth fell open. I took a good look at her she looked different, and not just because I mistaked her for a boy.

"Surprised to see me? Well I know they're already coming, so ask away."

She looked at the both of us. As the sirens started to faint, I stood up and peeked over the trash can.

"Ok we can stop hiding now" I said. I nodded at Devonte and leaned against the wall.

"How did you know we were in Sky?"

She smiled at me and giggled. "Your mom told me" she answered. I was puzzled.

How did she find her? I rubbed my chin. "Where did you go after you...left?"

She looked at me with sadness in her eyes. I instantly felt like a idiot and a jerk. "You don't have to answer it" Devonte said.

Devonte tried to comfort her, but she pushed him back. "No, you're gonna find out sooner or later, and I rather it be sooner.

After the accident, I didn't know what to do. I just ran with no destination in mind. Just getting away from my mom made me feel better.

It seemed like the farther I was away from her, the safer she would be.

After being on the run, I stayed under a bridge for a couple of days.

Then one night I was sleeping, I heard voices. I looked up and saw a girl jumping over to the next bridge.

She yelled out your names before disappearing."

I relaxed a bit. "On that day, you were there? Why didn't you come out or say anything?"

I looked over at Ronald's Sub's. The building's  roof was completely blackned, burned if I must say.

I wanted to check and see if Ronald and his pals were still there, but it's best if I didn't.

Rachel's expression cheered up. "I was scared, I didn't know what to do." She stood up and took a deep breath.

"We were kinda hoping we would run into you" Devonte said as he walked over to me. "We figured, we would need your help."

"How did our mom find you?" Devonte asked.

"While I was staying under the bridge, I ran out of food. So I covered my face and went to store with the little money I had left.

I first went to the store close by, but it had Caution Restricted tape all over the area."

"Yeah, some girl had robbed the store, blew the doors off, fought cops, and all that good stuff" Devonte said while rubbing the back off his head.

"I walked for about 30min and I found another store. It was really late at night.

I grabbed my stuff and waited in line. I noticed the women behind, kept glaring at me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Tuesday night-Rachel*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"That'll be $8.79" the clerk said. I dug around in my poket and fished out $4.20. "Hold on" I said.

I went into my other pocket and brought out another dollar. "This is all I have..." I showed him the money and he shook his head.

"I'm sorry little girl if you don't have enough money, you have to put something back."

I looked at my ham, cheese, and bread. I don't necessarily need cheese, I glanced over my shoulder at the women.

"Ok, take off the cheese" I said, hoping I would have enough. "$6.48."