Chapter 21

Devin's POV

"Tomorrow I'll be a little late to get to the CTS" I said as I bit into my hamburger. Devonte was already halfway done and Rachel didn't even touch hers.

I watched as Rachel walked around her tent, pushing her palm forward in different directions and positions with each step she took. You can see a faint blue color release with each strike.

"Raachul, wuut arrr yaa doin" Devonte said with a mouthful of food. Rachel didn't respond. "Hello?" A piece of food flew out of his mouth and landed on my shoe.

He looked at shoe then stared at my face as I scowled at him. "S-soowi." I flicked my foot and the gunk left a red stain on my shoe. Meanwhile Rachel focused on her little activity.

"I'm doing an ancient air elementist striking practice, it requires focus so you can increase your accuracy when striking."

"Umm, when did you find all this out?" Devonte finished up his burger and tossed the paper aside.

"Funny story actually...."

We stayed silent as we waited for Rachel to continue. "I ran into the Empress of Air yesterday. She was visiting a spa here in the Fire District."

I gulped down my burger and shook my hands free of crumbs. "We had a nice chat, then blah blah. She told me to do this if I wanted to improve."

She let out an even stronger gust of wind while stomping on the ground. "Ooo, impressive" Devonte said teasingly. Rachel gave him an agitated look before putting a hand on her hip. "Face it, I am not a natural born wielder, so i have to work that much harder."

Rachel went back to what she was doing. "I just don't want to feel like I'm holding you guys back." Two more powerful gusts of wind came, followed by a couple of frustrated grunts. I looked at Devonte and lowered my head. I never thought about how Rachel felt about this whole thing. Rachel must feel like we are protecting her or maybe she feels like the weakest link.

I really don't have any idea how she feels. I wish there was something I could teach her, but I can barely wrap my head around the things I do. It just sort of comes natural. She's right, she's not a natural born wielder. So far what I've seen from her was pretty amazing."Was it something I said?"

I looked at Devonte, then glanced at Rachel and shrugged my shoulders. Blaze forced his head in the palm of my hands. "Hey boy, what's up?"

It seems kind of weird talking to a baby wolf, I don't even know if Blaze really understands me or not. Ever since I found him, he's been pretty comprehensive

"Show me a fireball Blaze." I got up and walked away from the tents so nothing catches fire. Blaze distanced himself from me and squared up.

"Come on, let's see what you got." Blaze opened his mouth and there was a tiny spark. His paws lit up and the there was fire forming. "Just a little more."

Blaze's tail lit up and the ball nearly formed, a smile came upon my face. "Great, hold it!" Blaze dug his paws into the concrete.

"Just a little more." Blaze kept his focus, and the fireball fully formed. "Release it!" Blaze let out a growl and tucked in his chin.

He released the fireball, only for it to disappear. My smile went to a frown almost instantly. Blaze sat down and lowered his ears, clearly dissapointed in himself. I walked over to him and got down on one knee "It's alright boy, you'll get it.

I turned my attention to the others. This time Rachel was hoping left to right and right to left. Her foot didn't make a sound as little dust started under feet.