Chapter 4.5

~Summer~
~June 27, 2015~

"Dad, who was that?" I nudged Devonte and gave him the dirty look on his bad timing. His eyes widened and he looked at dad while pointing towards the weaponry tent.

"We'll just be over there if you need us. I doubt that you will, after what just happened," Devonte rambled on.

I pushed him to the side and threw my arms above my head. When dad is upset, no one talks to him until mom calms him down.

I stopped him just before we entered the weapons tent. I sighed and faced palmed, he pick the worst time to wanna ask questions.

"What are the chances of dad killing everyone in the state of Texas?" Devonte asked.

I punched him in the shoulder, "don't be stupid."

He rubbed his arm, "you know how dad gets when he's angry," Devonte said.

"So who do you think dad fought out there?" He asked, sounding a little too excited.

"You're not gonna let this go huh?"

He smiled and shook his head. I looked over towards the campfire, mom held dad by his forearm and pulled him into the tent. The coast was clear to talk.

"I don't know, but it's definitely someone that has a history with dad," I replied.

Once inside there were weapons littered everywhere, out in the open and in boxes.

"Oh my god, it is a lot of stuff in here. We have to clean up all of this now? No thank you." Devonte turned around and I grabbed him by the tail of his shirt. I pulled him back and pushed him forward. He fixed his shirt and walked over to the corner where the shields were placed. I casually walked over to the spears and started taking it apart.

"Devin come over here bro, look at what I found." He called out to me.

I walked over to see Devonte had found grandma's old shield. Green and yellow, it had a floral pattern with emerald embedded into the center.

"What's grandma's shield doing here? Shouldn't it be at home?" I traced my fingers across the shield. "It most definitely should be at home."

"Wait, if this is here then maybe..." Devonte walked over to a box, ripped it open and started digging.

"What are you looking for?" I put down the shield and crouched next to my brother.

"Come on, come on. I hope it's in this box...Yes!" Devonte held up a shiny silver or platinum sword and I recognized it immediately.

"Grandpa's sword!" I snatched it out of his hands. Grandpa was a lightning elementist just like dad. He taught him everything he knew about the element. I always asked dad can I have it someday, but he always says no because it was a 'family treasure.'

Mom appeared into the tent with a smug look on her face. I quickly put the sword back and nervously smiled. "We were just—"

"Don't worry about it, there are more important things to deal with. Let's go, now."

"What about the weapons?" Devonte asked, followed by my elbow. He possibly ruined or chances of getting out of cleaning up.

"Leave it here, no one knows this spot but us anyway. Now let's get moving, we're going back home."