Chapter 29

Walking next to Emma set my mind and fears at ease. She completely made me forget why we're all here in the first place. Rachel and Devonte brought up the rear, speaking among themselves. I looked over at Emma out of the corner of my eye. Emma's hair was pinned up into a ponytail, she had a simple tank top on, her green finger less gloves, green and white converse, with baggy cargo pants. Even though she was leading us to Cade, Emma had a friendly smile on her face. I glanced behind me and Devonte had a little bit of a smile, and Rachel just looked cheerful.

Is this what it could've been like if things were different? If we were traveling for a different cause? If Emma had joined us? Just the 4 of us... Then Rachel would have someone to talk to her about girl stuff. I chuckled at the thought of Emma and Rachel actually getting along. Emma looked at me and smiled "what's so funny?" I put one hand in my pocket and returned a smile. "Look behind you, and just grasp the situation for a sec."

Emma slowly turned her head around and looked back at me with a confused expression on her face. "I don't get it" she said with a giggle. "Think about it... Me, you, my brother and Rachel. For once we're all traveling together..sort of. Everyone's in a good mood, doesn't that make you think about how different things could've been? I mean really, if we all met on different terms,..it could be like this."

Emma looked back again and lowered her head a bit. "Yeah....but it's not. We all know why we're together, yet everyone is pretty happy. This is nice non the less...all of us I mean. Walking underneath the night sky, talking and not a care in the world." I looked up at the sky, and a smiled. "I wish it would be like this someday. I would prefer to have you all by my side, than be in our current situation." I discretely reached out for her hand, but stopped once I remembered who was behind us.

The only thing I can do is try to give her some hope and find a bright side to what is to come later. "Emma don't worry everything will be fine. We have a plan and we're pretty confident it will be successful, just trust us." Emma sighed "O-okay.."

We walked for about 45 more minutes, until we were just outside of the Earth District. I didn't know there were forests and other things of that nature in each district. We've only stayed inside the main part of the districts, so this area was new to all of us. Emma came to an abrupt stop and held her hand up. She got on one knee and waved over the ground with her hand. I looked around curiously, there wasn't anything here. Behind us was the main district and in front of us was the entrance to a forest.

"His hideout is in a forest, I would've never guessed this" Devonte said. "Yeah, I really don't see how a forest can be of much use" Rachel added. "Shh." Emma face turned cold and serious. Silencing chill fell over us as we waited for Emma.... I looked back at Rachel and she shrugged her shoulders. I gulped down what seemed like a sharp rock of saliva. "Okay, stand back..."

We all moved back to give Emma as much space as she needed. "This is going to be so cool" Devonte whispered. I looked at Devonte and he mouthed I'm just saying. I shook my and head watched as Emma took in a deep breath. She balled up her fist and held them both at her hip, sort of like a karate pose. She separated her feet and took in another deep breath. Emma opened her fists and pushed them outwards simultaneously.

She groaned and grunted, clinching her teeth in the process. Her muscles flexed and tensed, you can see her struggle to completely stretch her arms. The ground beneath us started to move to move slightly and the intensity progressed gradually. "This is so cool" said Devonte. "Don't you think this would put a strain on her body?" "I think that's something you would have to ask her yourself Rach" I responded.

I leaned to the side a bit and noticed a hole was opening up. "It looks like she's making an underground path." "An underground secret lair... nice" Devonte said. Rachel just shook her head. A few moments later, Emma dropped her arms and sighed. She turned around motioned us to the entrance. "Right this way." I was the first one to make the next move by walking down into a pitch black path. Devonte and Rachel followed right after; Emma closed the entrance with ease.