54: Late Night Talk

SILAS HARRISON

Maria passed out soon after I kissed her. I smiled as she slept while our lips were still on each other. I didn't back away immediately – I stayed still for a few minutes before I held her in my arms and took her to her room. I couldn't help but stare at her beautiful face. Even while sleeping, the frown on her face indicated the hardships she faced because of me. I sighed and gently put her on the bed and covered her with the blanket. I didn't leave – I stayed by her side while I watched her sleep. I chuckled softly when she knitted her brows in her sleep. I put my index finger between her brows and lightly pressed it till she relaxed. What she said before kept ringing in my mind and I couldn't shake the fact off that she was so unhappy with her life. It breaks my heart to even think about what she went through.

"Maria," I whispered as I kneed beside her side of the bed and lightly brushed her hair with my fingers, "You are not pathetic," I told her. "What you are feeling is natural," I told her. I know she can't hear me now, but still, I want her to know this. "I am ashamed, Maria. Please forgive me for the pain I have given you." I told her. "But, here – I am asking you to give me a chance to take that pain away," I asked her while she slept. What I didn't expect from her was to open her eyes and stare directly at me. I gasped and fell back on the floor. I gaped, "You are awake." I said to her. I thought she was asleep. "You can't take my pain away, Silas. It is permanent." She spoke softly. I blinked. She looked back at me with her drowsy eyes, "I am sleepy." She said with a sigh.

"Then let me share it with you," I spoke without thinking. I didn't have to think about it – that's what I want. She chuckled sleepily, "You think it will be easy living with me?" She asked. "I am a mess." She added. I snickered and kissed her nose, "I love this mess." Next, I kissed her forehead, "This is my mess, so it is only fair if I take care of it." I added. A tear fell from her eye as she chuckled. She sighed, "Silas, I love you." She spoke softly. I smiled, "I love you too, Maria." I replied. "You are going to stay with me tonight?" She asked.

I smiled, "Do you want me to stay?" I asked her. She just nodded, "Yes." She whispered. I smiled and took my shoes off before lying beside her on the bed. Since she was facing the other side – as soon as I lay beside her she tossed to her right side to face me. It has been so long since I slept beside her yet it doesn't feel foreign. It feels so good to be beside her.

I pushed the string of her hair behind her ear as she closed her eyes for that moment. I got a little closer to her and bit my lip, "Maria, if I ask you something, will you answer honestly?" I asked her. She chuckled, "I am drunk and sleepy – what do you think?" She answered. I remember when we were together – we used to talk our hearts out in the middle of the night – she always used to say that a person is completely honest when either he or she is drunk or when they are sleepy. I held her hand in mine and kissed it softly, "If I ask you to marry me again – will you agree?" I whispered and looked at her now-closed eyes. I knitted my eyebrows, "Maria?" I called her out but she didn't respond. Did she fall asleep or is she pretending to be? I moved closer to her to hear her even breathing. I looked at her face closely before blowing my cheeks out – she fell asleep. "Ah, this girl." I chuckled and watched her sleep.

The next morning I woke up before Maria. It was quite late, but she drank after a long time – she should recover by sleeping more. I made sure that she was covered before I went to the bathroom and looked for the spare toothbrush. I found it in the cabinet. After washing my face and brushing my teeth – I decided to prepare Maria breakfast before I go back to my penthouse to take a shower and change into fresh clothes. I came out of the bathroom to see Maria still sleeping soundly. I walked nearer to her and placed a kiss on her forehead before I left the room.

As soon as I stepped out of the room, I was welcomed by noises. I followed the noise and ended up in the kitchen. There, Charlie was already making breakfast. She lifts her head to look at me before passing me a smile, "Good morning, Silas." She greeted. I was surprised to see that she wasn't surprised to see me at all. I scratched my neck and shifted from one leg to another uncomfortably, "Uh – morning," I greeted back. "What are you doing here?" I asked her. She flipped the pancake and chuckled, "The last thing I know it was my apartment. I should be the one asking you that question." She grinned and put her hands on the slab. "So, Mr. Silas Harrison – what are you doing here?" She smirked.