38: Stand By Me

MARIA WAYNE

I went out of the room to see Kathie hastily walking down the stairs, "Kathie, slow down." I asked her, but she didn't listen to me. She hurriedly went down the stairs and ran towards the door, "Who is it?" She asked. I smiled and slowly walked down the stair. For me, it was difficult to get down speedily especially when I had a dress on. Kathie giggled and twisted the knock – unlocking the door and slightly opened it. She sticks her head out of the door, "Hi, Uncle Silas." She giggled. I halted for a few seconds before taking a deep breath and resumed walking towards the door.

"Hello, princess." I heard Silas from behind the door. I slowly walked closer to the slightly opened door. "Is it for me?" I heard Kathie asking him. "This one is for you." I heard him reply to her. She squealed and jumped excitedly before opening the door wide open while she had a small bouquet of pink roses in her hand. "Thank you, Uncle Silas," Kathie said while hugging the flowers dearly. I chuckled as I saw Silas kneeling– while looking at his niece jumping up and down. He had another bouquet of beautiful red roses in his hand. I stopped a few steps away from the door when Silas's gaze landed on me. His eyes slowly gazed me from my feet to my head – slowly taking in my presence. I felt nervous. I could feel knots in my stomach. His slightly opened his mouth and slowly rose. "Wow." I heard him saying. I looked directly in his eyes to see him looking back at mine. A smile slowly formed on his lips, "God, you look gorgeous." He said.

I don't know how I felt. Since I ended up on crutches – I had doubts about the compliments I receive. I am not sure if the people are just saying it to make me feel better or do they mean it. I looked down at the dress and smiled, "Thank you." I said to him and looked down at his tux. "You are wearing a tux." I chuckled. He looked at his tux and smirked, "You know how I always dress like this on date nights." He replied, but soon he realized it and his smile slipped off. The ache that was buried deep down was felt – we did such a job forgetting about it, but here it was again – all the memories and flashbacks of our failed marriage. I didn't want to ruin this moment – I am experiencing this moment after such a long time. I just want to live it.

I curled my lips in a smile, "You look nice, Silas." I told him. He looked at me and that bright smile was back. "Thank you." He chuckled as he fixed his suit. He closed the door behind him and walked nearer. "These are for you." He gave me beautiful red roses. I smiled as I accepted them. I sniffed the sweet smell of roses, "These are beautiful, Silas. Thank you so much." I said to him.

"I looked at these flowers and you came up in my mind. I know how much you love flowers." He told me. I smiled. That is true – I love roses. He used to get me roses each day when we were dating. I still have them all. They all are completely dried out – but, I still have them in a box. I wanted to throw them away when we got divorced, but I couldn't throw them out. There were so many memories attached to them. "I should put them in water," I said.

He stepped forward, "Let me put them in a vase." He offered. I nodded and handed him the roses. "While you do that – let me drop Kathie to Brown's apartment," I told him. He looked at his niece before nodding his head, "Okay." He replied and went into the kitchen. Kathie was still holding her flowers dearly, "Kathie, why don't we put your flowers in the water as well?" I asked her. "That way, they will live longer," I told her. She twisted her mouth and looked at the flowers before nodding, "Okay." She said. "Let's go and ask Uncle Silas to put them in the vase as well. We can put the vase in your room – besides your bed." I suggested. She nodded her head eagerly and clapped her hands. I chuckled and went into the kitchen where Silas was putting the flowers in a vase.

He lifted his head as he saw us coming in. He smiled, "What can I do for you, ma'am?" He asked Kathie who giggled and stretched her hands out, "Can you please these in water as well?" she asked. Silas picked her in his arms and kissed her cheek soundly. "Of course, my lady, anything for you." He said causing Kathie to giggle out loud.