14: Flashbacks

MARIA WAYNE

Charlie shrugged and dodged the question. I know she is lying. She knows who Alice is, but she doesn't want me to know about this person. I didn't ask her again either. I didn't want to press her. Deep down it hurt to know that Charlie was hiding something from me. We used to tell everything to each other and never hide anything, but I guess time changes people – or maybe Alice is someone Charlie doesn't like to talk about. I hope she would eventually tell me about Alice. I know it isn't my business, but I was itching to know about this person. I wanted to know who she was to Silas.

After we reached home, I took a much-needed nap. I was tired and upset. Tired, because of the ache in my lower back and upset because of the rude man I, unfortunately, met today and because my best friend was hiding something from me. Charlie was busy with Kathie while I took a nap. When I woke up, it was almost past noon. I didn't intend to sleep so long, but I guess I was too tired to just take a nap. Although, I was still a bit sleepy – I forced myself to get up. After I freshen up and changed into fresh clothes. I walked downstairs. When I was closing my room down I heard Charlie's mumbling. First I thought, she was talking to someone on the phone, but as I reached downstairs I saw Silas standing in the kitchen. His back was facing me while Charlie was talking to him. I don't know what to name this feeling, but I was excited and nervous at the same time. I smiled softly and walked towards the kitchen – soon to be halted when heard Charlie speak, "I don't know, Silas." Charlie sighed.

"I don't want to hurt her either, Charlie. No one might believe me, but I still care for her – more than anyone else." Silas said to Charlie – who was looking at her feet while slightly shaking her head. I knitted my brows together and walked nearer to them. Charlie blew her cheeks out and lifted her head. Her eyes met mine before she glanced at Silas – who spoke, "Listen, I know that –"

An artificial grin lit up on Charlie's face as she looked at me, "Hey, Maria!" she interrupted him. After a brief second Silas turned around and our eyes met. His lips were pressed together as he gulped. He opened his mouth slightly before sighing and passing me a small smile, "Oh, hi Maria. How are you?" he questioned.

I smiled back, "I am well." I nodded. "What were you guys talking about?" I asked both of them.

"He can't make it tomorrow to dinner." Charlie shrugged. I glanced at Silas before looking back at Charlie. I know she was hiding something from me, but I didn't push her. If she isn't feeling comfortable about sharing something with me then I will not ask her either. I shrugged, "He must be busy." I commented as I looked at Silas.

He nodded, "Yes, unfortunately, I have to be somewhere else, and it is really important." He answered me and looked at Charlie, "How about we all go out somewhere next weekend?" he questioned Charlie and me. Charlie and I knitted our brows and looked at each other before facing him.

"Somewhere?" Charlie questioned him.

He nodded, "Yes, maybe we can go to shelter Island." Silas suggested as he glanced at me. The smile on my face slipped as I went down the memory lane.

"Where are we going?" I asked Silas maybe the twentieth time. But just like the last nineteen times he glanced towards me and passed me a cheeky smile before looking back at the road as he drove through the hushed roads. I sighed and leaned back on the seat, "You are not going to tell me, are you?" I asked him. He simply shook his head and I rolled my eyes. "Are you kidding me, Silas? You woke me up in the middle of the night to take me on the road trip and you are not even telling me where we are heading to." I complained.

He chuckled as a smile played on his lips, "You will know soon." He only replied. I chuckled as looked out of the window as we passed through an empty road. I sighed and brought my legs up on the seat. I drew an 'M' and 'S' on the fogged window and chuckled before bringing my hands towards the window to erase it when Silas stopped me, "Don't." he said. I smiled and looked at him.