12: He Still Cares

MARIA WAYNE

Silas left soon after he was done with the phone call. He seemed a little upset from the phone call. I wanted to know what happened to him, but obviously, I didn't ask. He told me that something urgent has come up and that he has to leave. Of course, I didn't oppose and soon he was gone – leaving me alone. I went back to the room I will be staying in and fetched my cellphone before I came back downstairs, switched on the television, and put it on mute, and called Leo. I don't like staying in dark, so whenever I am alone I always switch on the television.

I know that Leo usually stays up until late, so I called him. Luckily he was home, so I talked to Leo and Papa, both, for a while before Charlie and Marcus came back home. The smile on both of their faces was enough for me to know that they had a good time. Charlie had a big candy floss in one hand while had a red rose in the other. She grinned and crashed beside me, "I love you so much, Maria. You have no idea how great it was." She gushed.

I laughed and glanced at Marcus who sat on the separate couch with a small smile, "I am glad that you two enjoyed yourselves." I answered.

"I hope Kathie didn't bother too much," Marcus asked.

I chuckled, "No, not at all. Most of the time she was busy playing with Bear and –" I told them. Both of them knitted their brows, "Wait, Bear?" They asked simultaneously. "Oh, yes. I am sorry. I forgot to tell you. Silas was here. He came with Bear to see Kathie." I told them. Charlie quietly surveyed me while Marcus's eyes rolled skyward. "Please, tell me that Bear has gone with Silas," Marcus said.

My lips curled up in a mischievous smile, "He is sleeping in Kathie's room." I replied to him and he groaned. "Silas." He mumbled. "What? I think he is adorable." I defended Bear. Charlie chuckled, "He doesn't like Marcus." She told me at which Marcus didn't reply and simply got up from the couch, "What? Really?" I asked laughingly.

Kathie laughed and leaned in, "He always growls at Marcus." She said to me. Marcus shook his head and sighed, "Since we are living apart till the wedding, he is not my problem tonight, so ladies, have fun, but I will take off now. I have an early meeting tomorrow morning." He said.

I smiled and nodded, "Sure." I said.

He bent and kissed my head, "You should sleep too. You look exhausted." He told me. I smiled and nodded wordlessly. He then moved to Charlie and helped her get up. He whispered something in her ear causing her to giggle. He chuckled and kissed her on the lips, "I had a great time today." He said to her. Charlie bit her lower lip and smiled shyly. My heart melted at that moment – they both are so adorable together. I am happy for Charlie, but more than that I am happy for Marcus. He is a completely different man now. I remember when I met him for the first time after Susan's death – he had no spark left in him. It was like he went into a dark hole with no way back, but Charlie – a simple and simple girl changed him for good, and couldn't be happier.

Marcus placed a hand over my shoulder and I looked up at him, "Thank you for today, Maria." He said to me. I smiled, "I am happy to know that you two had fun." I glanced at smiling Charlie. "We did," Marcus replied and Charlie nodded with him. He sighed, "Well, I will take off now, but first I have to meet my princess. It is sad enough that my girls don't live with me." Marcus twisted his lips.

Charlie and rolled her eyes skywards, "Temporary." She corrected him.

After kissing Kathie's good night, Marcus left. I still had minor pain in my back, but it is nothing a goodnight's sleep wouldn't heal. I went into the room I was staying in and changed into pajamas and Leo's old sweatshirt before brushing my teeth. I sat in front of the mirror and combed my hair and I eyed the loose and comfy sweatshirt I was wearing. Since I was little, I used to use his old shirts as nightwear.