36: I Told You So

SILAS HARRISON

I had to go to the office for some work. I promised Kathie to come back later with Bear. Since Marcus wasn't here – I didn't need to worry about his scolding at me to bring my dog. Kathie must miss her parents – since, this is the first time they went somewhere without her, so I bought ice-cream and some candies for her on my way to Charlie's apartment. I remember that Charlie told me not to give her sugar, but I don't think a bar of candy would do any worse. I will put ice-cream and other candies for later – she doesn't have to eat all at once.

When I reached the penthouse, Maria was on the phone with Charlie. Of course, she was telling her how she doesn't have to worry about anything and how Kathie was okay. I knew this would happen. I chuckled and went in the kitchen to put ice-cream in the freezer and candy bars in the cabinet where Kathie couldn't see them – while Bear ran in the lounge. I will give a single candy at a time, so she doesn't turn into a tiny monster. Maria walked into the kitchen while balancing the cordless phone between her shoulder and ear. "Yes, Charlie – I know. You already told me that." She said as she looked at me putting in the candies in the cabinet. She gaped, "Uh – yes, I know." She said on the phone while she pointing towards the candies that I bought before slapping her forehead. She sighed, "Charlie, I swear I will not pick up your call anymore. She is okay. Don't you believe me?" She said to her sternly. I couldn't hear Charlie's muffled voice coming from the phone.

"Yes. Okay. I know. All right. No. What? Yes, bye." Maria said before cutting off the call. "Silas!" She scolded all of the sudden – startling me. I turned around to look at her with widened eyes, "What the hell, Maria? You almost gave me a heart attack." I told her while my heart was still rushing a bit.

"What the hell is all this?" She asked me while picking up a packet of gummy bears in her hand. I shrugged, "Gummy bears." I replied. She narrowed her eyes, "I know that you smart ass – why did you bring so many candies?!" She asked. "These are not for you. These are for my niece." I said to her.

She rolled her eyes, "That's exactly the problem, Silas! You are not supposed to bring all these candies for Kathie. Don't you remember what Charlie told us?" She asked me.

"Of course, I remember. I am not going to feed her all these in a day. Relax." I told her. Maria started to say something but she was interrupted by giggles and a bark following it, "Aunt Maria, can I take Bear to meet Kayden? He never had a dog." She asked her before I heard her gasp. I turned around to see her eyes on all the candies that were displayed on the counter. "Uncle Silas, are these for me?" She asked as she squealed and jumped in excitement. I just loved seeing her so happy. I chuckled and nodded, "These all are for you." I told her.

"Silas!" Maria tried to stop me by whispering sternly, but I just winked at her and turned back to look at Kathie – who was jumping up and down. "Uncle Silas, you are the best!" She said. "I love you. I love you. I love you." She squealed and hugged my legs. I laughed and lifted her in my arms and kissed her cheek, "I love you too, princess." I told her. She hugged me tightly, "Can I have some gummy bears?" She asked.

I glanced at Maria to see her looking at me dully, "No." she mouthed. I begged her through my eyes. Kathie was so happy – I didn't want to upset her. I pressed my lips together and sighed, "Sure, darling." I said to her. Kathie kissed my cheek and Maria rolled her eyes at the same time. I looked at Kathie and put her on the counter. She picked one packet and opened it, before stuffing her mouth with a handful of gummy bears. Maria sighed, "You will be responsible for the consequences." She told me before she went outside. Bear followed her out. I averted my gaze from Kathie to Maria walking away. What would few candies do to a kid? I just shrugged and watch Kathie enjoy her candies.

I was wrong. I was so wrong. I should have listened to Maria. She was right. "Kathie, get down. You will hurt yourself." I said to her as I picked her up and put her down on the floor. She was jumping on the couch and I was afraid she would fall and hurt herself. On the other hand, Bear was continuous barking and running around the apartment with Kathie.

"Uncle Silas, catch me." She said to me loudly before running away. "No, Kathie. No more." I whined. I have been chasing after her for the past hour. I was already out of breath but this girl wasn't even near to tired. I should have listened to Maria. I was supposed to just feed her few candies – I didn't even know when she ate so many. Now she was all hyped up at ten in the evening. It was probably past her bedtime, but I wasn't sure how to put her to sleep.

Maria must be laughing at me right now. She went to her room before telling me that she will not help me with her and that I was on my own – I didn't know that Kathie would be so hyped up. "Uncle Silas, why are you not chasing me?" Kathie asked while running around me. I faked a sob, "Because, Uncle Silas is tired." I said dramatically. "Baby, please – it is your bedtime. We will play tomorrow, okay?" I said to her.

She giggled and shook her head, "But, I am not sleepy." She said to me and ran towards Bear who was barking for her. I glanced upstairs at the closed door of Maria's room before averting my eyes back to the messed up lounge and Kathie – who now rhymed a poem for Bear while petting her. I got up and slowly walked upstairs. I glanced at Kathie one more time before walking towards Maria's room. I blew my cheeks out and knocked at her door. After a brief pause, I heard her, "Come in." She said.

I twisted the doorknob and opened the door to see Maria half-lying on the bed with a book in her hand. She glanced towards me and smiled, before putting a bookmark and closing the book. "Ah Silas, I was waiting for you." She said with a small smile on her face.

I knitted my eyebrows, "Why?" I asked her.

She grinned, "So that I could say – I told you so." She replied.