~25~

~Kunmi~

"People be damned Kunmi. You're hands down the most interesting, fascinating, and beautiful girl I know. You're intelligent and deep that I always find myself looking forward to spending time and talking with you and the rest of the world doesn't know that, that's their loss, not yours."

I blinked, once twice at his words. It's the most beautiful words someone has ever said to me but I did not believe it. Something that beautiful couldn't be true about me.

I looked away from his face, from his eyes that seemed to want to drink me in, my heart thudding louder in my chest, to where he grabbed my hands, right on my wrist. I tried pulling away but his grip remained firmer, stronger even that I had to look up at his face again, and yet, I was stunned by the intensity in his eyes.

"You should let go of my hand."

I said in a strangely low tone, a tone that betrayed whatever was going on with my body and mind at the moment.

He only shrugged as if this was all-natural with him, his index finger tapping space on my wrist. I tried to pull away once again but his hold became even firmer.

"I'm not letting go until you believe my words."

What??

I scoffed and I shook my head, my lips stretching into a smile. What words?

"It's starting to hurt."

I said plainly and he let go of my hand immediately, his expression apologetic as ever that I couldn't help but to burst into laughter at his expense.

"Was that a joke?"

He asked, leaning forward so he'd see my face and I shook my head.

"You weren't going to let go of my hands if I did come up with something."

"I was going to let go once you believe me."

I scoffed again.

"It's hard just to start unbelieving what you've believed in all your life."

"Even if it's a blatant lie....."

"Especially if it's the only truth you've ever known."

"It's nowhere close to the truth and deep down, you know that too. You're probably just afraid to confront that truth."

I shook my head. It's easier for people like Adam, people like Sophia who have the perfect smiles, the perfect statures, the perfect faces, the perfect charisma to think from our perspective, people like me.

"You don't understand...."

"Make me."

He interrupted just as the bell went off, signaling the end of the free period and the beginning of the next period.

"You guys are still here."

Someone said and we both looked away from each other to see Sophia standing right behind the bench opposite us. Then she walked away without a word.

Adam stood up too and before he walked away, he looked at me and said;

"I meant everything I said."

Then he walked away.

Someone saying this to me can't be compared to the tens of people that have told me otherwise and yet, I find myself wanting to believe his words.

I enjoy his company, fine. I feel more at home and peace when I'm with him, when I'm talking with him but he couldn't possibly feel that same way, could he?