80

ADAM

The news that broke out about mom, her alleged cheating, the impending divorce, dad's company takeover wasn't even what scarred and annoyed me, it was how quick people were to jump into conclusions, to call her those horrible names, to troll her online, to create some sort of fan base for dad.

To them, he was just the ideal husband who fell into the grasp of a terrible woman and now, he had to pay by losing all his assets.

Mom was even nowhere terrible. She was the most amazing person I've ever met and would probably be the most amazing person I'd ever meet and she, after everything she had been through in dad's hands did not even deserve to be subjected to this kind of public criticism.

And as for me, the things in the news, about dad's company going over, about mom having something to do with it, about her cheating with dad's biggest company... I did not even believe half of it.

And even the pictures, photoshopped or not, wouldn't make me believe anything until I heard it from mom's mouth herself.

And that was why I couldn't wait till closing hour to get home to hear what mom would have to say on it so I left school, not because I give two fucks about what my classmates were saying but because I needed to get to mom.

I couldn't possibly leave her alone with everything going on.

And so I made it home. I made it home in public ride because I couldn't call the driver and actually wait for him to drive back and Uber seemed like the quickest option at that point.

I immediately felt a sense of foreboding the minute the Gatekeeper let me in. Mom's personal car was in the compound just like I had left it there when I left for school.

What was surprising was that dad's car was in the compound too even though it wasn't there when I left for school.

The feeling of doom in the pit of my stomach intensified and I started running towards the main house, desperate to get into the house, desperate to get to mom.

I slammed into the house only to meet it eerily quiet. There was nothing in the sitting room, no sign of life, no sign of nothing.

"And after everything I've done for you, after giving you all the riches and luxuries a woman could ever asked for and what? You had the nerve to sabotage my career, my company. You had the nerve to scheme with my biggest rival to steal my company away from me?"

That was dad's voice and I could legit feel the venom in his words. I could feel the anger and hate that was wrapped up with his words.

I could tell that he was angry and that he was this close to reaching his breaking point.

I darted towards the stairs and I started taking three, nah, four stairs at once.

"And haven't you had you revenge? The whole country is calling me a slut now. They are calling me a prostitute who has successfully sabotaged her husband's career." Mom's voice was cold, detached, firm and I could picture her sitting in front of her vanity and applying lotions to her face while dad was fuming with anger behind her. "How much did you pay to have the truth altered? To have the pictures edited? Do you feel justified now that the whole country sees me as a bad woman?"