LA

The four of us sat around the dinner table. While it was only a temporary foldable table, it felt more comfortable with the four of us than it ever did when we weren't all together. Four of us, how it was always meant to be. Demi, Mackenzie, McKenna and I. The flight to LA was uneventful and relatively quiet. I got to sit next to Mackenzie, who cried the entire way because she missed her mom. This was a frequent event, so I had grown used to ignoring it. Demi had to sit next to McKenna in case she had a medical emergency and her ventilator settings needed to be adjusted.

The new apartment was much smaller than our old house. It only had two bedrooms, a bathroom, a living room and a kitchen, with no yard, no pool and no play equipment. We were living in the apartments designed for families of patients of the rehab center. Kenna was scheduled to begin her program tomorrow, with a consult.

"This is a new start for all of us." Demi smiled. "You're starting your new show tomorrow Kenzie. Kenna's going to start working on walking and talking again. I couldn't be prouder of the both of you. We have a lot of work to do, but let's just enjoy tonight."

Midway through a strangely silent dinner, when I had already finished my rice, Demi spoke up. "Well you girls are quiet." Demi smiled. "What are you thinking about Kenzie?"

"Nothing." She answered, pushing her plate away. "May I be excused?" Without waiting for an answer, she got up and walked to our room.

"Oh okay." Demi looked confused. "Why don't you finish that chicken and I'll go talk to her?" Demi brought her plate to the sink.

"Yeah. Okay." I smiled sarcastically, looking over to Kenna. "You look beautiful today bestie. Are you excited for tomorrow?"

She blinked yes.

"I'm excited too. I miss talking to you so so much. I can't wait to hear what you have to say." I hugged her carefully. "You probably want me to finish my food now, right?"

She blinked yes to me again.

"Demi knows I hate chicken. But I'll take a few bites..." I brought my plate to the sink, still chewing as I spit the food out. It was absolutely disgusting.

Demi put her hand on my shoulder as I washed my hands, making me jump. I didn't know how much she had seen. "Oh! Cece! You ate half the chicken. I'm so proud of you." She hugged me, not wiping the creepily large smile off her face.

"Oh yeah. I did." I felt guilty for lying to her, but she was so happy....

"C'mon girls." Demi grabbed Kenna's wheelchair. "Lets go see Kenzie."

"What's wrong with her? Why was she being so quiet?" I asked.

"I don't know, she wouldn't say. But we need to cheer her up." We knocked on the door to our shared bedroom.

"What's wrong Kenzie? You're so quiet!" I asked as we barged in to her sitting on the floor next to a tower of boxes.

"Nothing! I'm not quiet! I'm bored! Let's go do something." She shot up and rushed to the doorway.

"Mackenzie. We talk about our feelings, remember?" Demi scolded, giving her a stern look.

"I'm-I'm scared." She burst into tears.

"Oh baby come here." Demi knelt down and hugged her. "Why are you scared?"

"What if I'm not good at acting tomorrow? What if they all hate me?" She sobbed. "I-I saw the magazines. Everybody hates me."

Since Kenna had landed in the hospital, the media had been going crazy with accusations about what was going on. They had claimed that Demi was a bad mother and forcing her daughter to stay alive, and days ago it came out Mackenzie was the cause of McKenna's suicide attempt. Demi's fans had chosen sides, with #teamkenna trending for the past few days. There was also talk of Wilmer abusing the twins and Demi. Nobody actually knew the story.

"Baby what did you see?" Demi glanced at me. We had both known this was coming.

"They called me demon child, and they said they wished I had been the one who was injured, and that they hate me."

"They don't know what really happened. They're reacting to the media. It's okay! They'll change their minds once they find out what really happened. Remember we talked about this before. Being famous means dealing with hate online." Demi said, nodding as she wiped Kenzie's tears. Demi had been trying to refrain from involving herself in the negativity online, but a Twitter rant was going to come soon from her, I could tell.

"You're beautiful Kenzie, and when they see how talented of an actress you are, nothing will matter." I hugged her.

"Okay." She smiled. "Let's play now!"

"Why don't we watch a movie?" Demi suggested glancing at Kenna.

"Okay! Kenna what do you wanna watch?" She asked. It made me so indescribably happy to see them communicating.

We decided on a movie and sat down to watch. We still had boxes to unpack, but the house had come with furniture so we weren't rushing.

"Cece can I talk to you a minute?" That was never ever good. I was so sick of having these private chats with her. We snuck away to her room.

"I haven't told Kenzie that I'm not going to set with her tomorrow."

The plan was for me to go on set with Kenzie, while Demi took Kenna in to begin the program. But judging by Kenzie's inability to be without her mother, that was looking more and more impossible.

"Demi! She can't handle an hour away from you anymore. Why haven't you prepared her?"

"I think she'll be okay." Demi was oblivious, as usual.

"She cried for you the entire 3 hour plane ride."

"If we tell her now she's going to refuse to go. I'm going to spring it on her tomorrow." Demi walked off, glancing at the twins on the couch. Kenzie was sucking her thumb, tears forming in her eyes.

"Good luck with that." I remarked.

"How's your recovery going?"

"That was random. But, Fine thank you." I replied, unsure if I was lying or not

"Oh really?" She raised her eyebrow.

"Really. I'm feeling a lot better."

"You're eating better."

"Yeah. I just-" I stopped myself before deciding to continue. "I miss McKenna so much."

"She's here though Cece."

"I miss talking to her. I just want to hear her voice." I cried, surprised at the tears. Demi rushed to hold me.

"Shhh. She'll be better soon. It's okay."
----------------------------------------------