MRI

I thought Demi would be the one to wake me up, or knock on my door. Even at my meanest she never took it personally. She always forgave me.

So when I woke up, I immediately began planning in my head how I was going to get out of dinner when Demi asked me. Because I knew regardless of how I acted, she loved me, and she wanted me to stay healthy.

Or I thought I knew.

Instead Demi's distinct knock was replaced by my father's knock.

"Time for dinner Cece!"

"Coming." I grumbled. I would never admit it but I wanted to see Demi. I needed to know if she truly hated me. I had done something stupid. I let my guard down and I let her into my life. I thought she would never leave me, no matter what. It was my fault if she did though.

Mackenzie and my parents sat around the table. "Where's Demi?" I asked. My heart numbing.

"She went back to the hospital. McKenna had to have more testing done." My mom answered. It seemed unlikely that this late in the day Kenna was having more testing. Demi just didn't want to see me. "Grab a plate sweetie."

"I'm actually not hungry. I'm not feeling very well."

"Honey, are you sure?" My mom stood up and felt my forehead. "Should I call Demi?"

"No, I'm just not feeling well. I'm just going to go to sleep. Don't worry."

"Goodnight Cece!" Mackenzie yelled... At least she was speaking to me without saying something rude right?

I curled into bed and pulled the covers over my head. I let the tears fall, too exhausted to even try to harm myself. Eventually, I fell asleep.

----------------------------------------------

"If you're coming to the hospital, let's go." Demi yelled outside of my door. "You have like 30 seconds to get ready."

I flung myself out the bed and stumbled into the bathroom. Extreme dizziness pounded my head, I eventually gave up and crawled. I washed my face and threw a hoodie on over my t shirt and shorts. I looked like hell. But it's not like Demi would care anymore.

I met Demi in her car and sat in the back seat. My head was killing me but she didn't care. She ignored me as we drove to see McKenna.

"So when the girls and I move to LA, you're going to be moving back home." She didn't take her eyes off the road.

"What?" I looked up, stunned. She couldn't take Kenna away from me.

"You heard me."

Of all the things I've done in my screwed up life, this fight with Demi had to be the worst. She was the one person I thought would also be there for me. She was the one person who always knew what to say, and how to calm me down. With McKenna unable to speak or move, I truly had nobody.

Demi probably wanted me dead.

We parked at the hospital and Demi rushed out the car and into the building before I could even unbuckle my seatbelt.

Alone I took the familiar walk around the hospital. But this time I stopped in the cafeteria. I purchased an apple, the last thing I needed was for me to pass out, and ate it- alone. I took the elevator to the PICU, and once again, walked in ALONE. Should I mention how alone I felt?

At least my headache and dizziness was gone. As far as Demi was considered, I had to deal with her, and my feelings towards her later. Right now it was about Kenna.

"Good morning bestie." I walked up to Kenna, who was sitting, propped up, and hugged her. She was looking stronger everyday. Demi stepped out of the room.

"I think Demi's mad at me." I looked at Kenna. She blinked at me a few times... I took it to mean don't worry about it. "So are you ready for today?" I asked. Today was going to be a major day of testing for McKenna. They had to determine she was healthy enough to be moved to LA before we could proceed with the police interviews.

Kenna blinked no to me. "Are you scared?" I asked. She blinked yes. "You'll be okay. I'll be with you." I grabbed her hand.

Demi walked back in with a nurse. "Hey Ken Ken. It's time for your pokes."

Ken Ken was the name a few of the nice nurses had given Kenna. They had really gotten to know Kenna and I could tell they loved her.

I knew Demi was mad at me, but she was being cold towards Kenna now too. Maybe Kenna was used to life in the hospital. But she shouldn't be.

The nurse tied something around Kenna's arm. She reached for a syringe with a needle that made me grimace.

"It's okay sweetie, it's just a blood test." The nurse looked at me. "Okay, close your eyes Ken Ken." Kenna obeyed. "1,2,3" The nurse inserted the needle and drew blood. When she was finished she hid the vial behind her back so Kenna wouldn't see. "Open your eyes! All done!"

I noticed Kenna's body trembling and it broke my heart.

"It's okay baby." Demi rubbed her arm. At least she was finally showing some compassion. But now I was helpless once again, and Demi wasn't even acknowledging my presence.

Soon after another 2 nurses stepped in. "We are going to take her for her MRI."

Kenna's eyes appeared to widen. Whether it was my imagination or not, I'm sure she was terrified.

"Okay go ahead." Demi gave Kenna a kiss and sat down. I glared at her and she finally made eye contact. "Er I mean, I'm coming too."

Demi and I followed Kenna as far as we could but once we reached the machine we had to wait behind a window due to radiation. The same radiation that Kenna's entire body would be getting.

The machine made a loud noise as it dragged Kenna into it. Demi's phone rang.

"Hello? Oh hey! Yes, we are very excited. Of course! Okay, I'll tell her. See you in 2 days!" Demi hung up.

"Who was that?"

"The director for the show Kenzie's going to be on. She starts in two days." Demi replied.

"I didn't know you officially took it."

"I can't punish Kenzie by taking away her future." Demi glared at me. "I'm sorry." Her face softened.

I felt incredibly guilty. Demi was under tremendous pressure from everyone. The media knew everything. There were people sending Kenzie death threats, Demi had to hide those from her. The honest truth is that everyone makes a mistake. Kenzie's mistake just happened to wreck havoc on her entire life, and her family's lives.

I had to believe that Kenzie had reason for being as nasty as she was. Because deep down, I trusted Demi. I told her those things before out of anger and sadness. I would find out tomorrow if I was dumb to trust Demi.

I was snapped out of my thoughts by the roaring of the MRI machine turning to silence. The technician ran into the room and pulled Kenna from the machine.

Her entire body was convulsing.

The technician frantically pushed a button on the wall while Demi tried to punch a hole in the window. Several doctors rushed into the room, slapping monitors on her and injecting things into her.

It was all too like the scene I had witnessed before, when her heart had stopped.

--------------------------------------------

Sorry for not updating for 3 weeks and now leaving you with a cliff hanger... :) I'm going to try to update again today though don't worry.