Breathe

I was sharing a bedroom with the twins. The wall were an ugly off white color, the carpet old and worn. We each had a simple bed with a solid navy comforter on it. The twins had their stuffed animals lined up at the end of their beds. Demi and I had unpacked our clothes and the twins' clothes into the olive green dressers. It was a big adjustment for all of us to not have the accommodations we were used to. The room felt empty and lonely despite the two people that were with me. I wasn't able to sleep with Kenna anymore before of the medical equipment she required to sleep, and the risk of me injuring her fragile body.

"Good morning my beautiful girls!" Demi chirped.

"Kenzie and Cece, breakfast is on the table. And Kenna- I'm going to start getting you ready." Demi frowned, her face dropping. "I'll be right back." She retreated to her bedroom. I glanced over at Kenzie, buried under the covers.

"Kenz! Wake up! It's your first day on set." After a few minutes of her refusing to get up, I pulled the covers off of her and lifted her out of bed onto the floor. "Oh good. You're up." She glared at me and I smirked back. "Go get your breakfast. I'll be there in a second."

I walked over to McKenna and held her hand. Her eyes locked with mine. They held so much fear and sorrow. "You're going to be great today." I felt guilty having to leave McKenna stuck in bed, but I needed to check on Demi.

"Dem?" I knocked on the door to her bedroom. When she didn't answer I flung the door open. Demi was lying on her bed hysterically sobbing. She made no attempts to recollect herself when she saw me. "Demi! Demi calm down!" I yelled. I didn't like seeing her so upset. I didn't like seeing her upset at all actually. She was always strong for me. If she falls apart I wasn't going to be able to handle taking care of myself and her two kids. "Please calm down." I whispered, feeling the tears start to fill my own eyes. "I need you."

"MOMMY! MOMMY! SOMETHINGS WRONG!" The terror in Mackenzie's voice was unmistakable.

"Demi! Get up! McKenna- McKenna needs you now! Get up! You have to stop crying! Please Demi, Please I can't do this!" I tried to pull Demi up, but she was inconsolable. Her sobbing intensified as she gasped for a breath before sinking back into the covers.

My head spinning I ran into our bedroom, terrified of what I was going to see. McKenna lay there, her eyes darting wildly. Strange gasping noises were coming from her mouth, and it looked to me like despite the ventilator, she was having trouble breathing. I pushed the emergency button on the wall, trying to recall what else I was told to do in this situation. I rushed to the ventilator, making sure it was functioning.

"CECE SHES DYING! DO SOMETHING!" Mackenzie was covering her face with her hands.

"Kenzie go run and unlock the front door. People are coming to help. Go wait for them." I spoke in a soothing tone as I frantically checked the ventilator for any sign of a malfunction.
When I found nothing I looked at Kenna again. Tears were streaming down her face as she began to gag.
The situation was only getting worse.

Kenzie ran in with two paramedics. They threw their equipment down and rushed over to examine Kenna. One of them turned the ventilator off. They began accessing her, when all of the sudden Kenna stopped gagging and making noises that sounded like she was suffocating. She appeared more calm, so I stepped over and attempted to make her feel better.

"It looks to me like she's breathing on her own." The paramedic turned to me.

"But that's not possible. She can't breathe because of her injury. That's why she has a tracheotomy."

"Her brain may be starting to "wake up" in simple terms."

"So she's getting better- She may be able to talk again?"