Arrival

When we boarded the bus Kenzie walked down the aisle stopping at every person to shake their hand and introduce herself as Mackenzie Lovato, future superstar.

Once we got to our seats the bus driver welcomed us and announced that there was a celebrity on board, and he wasn't talking about Demi. Mackenzie stood up on her seat and waved. The entire bus awed.

If only they could see the devil horns that McKenna and I saw.

"Mommy I wanna sit next to my sissy." Kenzie sweetly demanded. Only Demi didn't see it as a demand. She saw it as a polite request.

"Okay sweetie! You and Kenna can sit here and Cece and I will be right behind you."

"Okay mommy."

I watched Kenna visibly sigh. I desperately wanted to get Kenna away from the situation but there was nothing I could do.

"So Cece, I really want this vacation to be light and fun. But I do need to talk to you about something. Mackenzie told me you asked about Wilmer. So I figured I should tell you."

"No it's okay."

"No I don't what you to be curious and suspect things. Honesty is best. After all, what am I teaching you if I hide things from you?"

"Okay." I honestly didn't want to start dealing with the big mess of Demi's divorce on top of worrying about how Kenzie was harassing Kenna but like most things, I had no choice.

"When the twins were born Wilmer always liked McKenna better. I have no idea how a father could favor one daughter over another but he did. He refused to take care of Mackenzie. He said he only wanted one baby and he hadn't signed up for twins. When the twins turned two he was fired from the tv show he was on. He was turned down from movie after movie and show after show. He started drinking at night and... He became abusive towards me. We started fighting every night. I wanted to try and work things out in therapy but he didn't. One day I woke up and he was gone. I officially filed for divorce then. But he didn't want to see the girls' he said. He only wanted to see McKenna because he believes Mackenzie ruined our marriage... And that's the story."

She looked down and then out the window so I couldn't see her eyes. She was pulling at her hair though so I could tell she was upset.

"Oh... thanks for um...telling me. I'm sorry?" I've said it before and I'll say it again. I hate dealing with sad people.

"It's okay. I've worked through it. And the girls were so young that I don't think they remember any of it. They don't seem to miss him."

"Oh... yeah."

Demi was completely clueless. McKenna was wearing his shirt today and she didn't even know! She knew absolutely nothing about how Kenna really felt. She let Kenzie voice for Kenna. I was beyond irritated.

"Hey it's okay. Cheer up now. Everything's good and we're a happy family."

I managed to smile.

"And look! We're officially entering Disney World!" She pointed to a sign.

"Yay!" I tried to laugh and look happy but I was beyond exhausted. I needed to fix everything.

"Girls look!" Demi tapped Kenna's shoulder. Kenzie began clapping and the rest of the bus followed.

We pulled up at a large resort. It looked really fancy with white buildings and red roofs.

"This is us! Let's go!" Demi grabbed my hand and then Kenzie's hand. Kenna tagged behind us.

"I'll go check in! Wait right here girls!"

It was then I noticed that Kenna's face was shiny from tears flowing.

"Kenna! What's wrong?"

"She's a baby that's what's wrong."

"Mackenzie! Stop!" I yelled.

"Nothing's wrong." McKenna finally answered, in between sobs.

"Let's go see our room!" Demi appeared. "Aw Kenna. Baby girl what's wrong?"

"N-n-nothing I'm just so happy mommy."

"Aw sweetie." Demi bent down and hugged Kenna.

I was beyond angry. I glared at Kenzie who cocked her head and smiled at me. I wanted to tackle her.

Demi lead us up the elevator and into our suite. It was huge and had a balcony with a view of a lake. I couldn't appreciate any of it though. I was so angry with Kenzie and heartbroken for Kenna

"I have plans for us tonight! I'm going to get ready and then we will go!" Demi was so excited. She was practically skipping through our suite.

"Mommy can you do my hair!" Kenzie jumped on a bed.

"Sure baby girl!"

I pulled Kenna into another room of the suite and sat her on the bed.

"What did she say to you?"

Alone with me Kenna began gasping to catch a breathe with tears falling from her widened eyes.

I rubbed her back like Demi always did for me.

"Breathe Kenna. You're okay. I promise I'm not going to let her hurt you anymore."

Kenna began calming down but she was still crying.

"Cece I-I-I can't s-s-stop."

"You don't need to stop. Come here."

I lay down on the bed and she crawled over next to me. She wrapped her arms around me and hid her face in my side.

And she cried and cried. And each time I heard another sob it broke my heart even more. She was in such visible pain and she was only 5 years old.

Eventually she sat up and wiped her tears.

"Let me get you cleaned up."

With a damp rag I washed her face. I then brushed her hair out and put it in pigtails. I put her princess crown back on and handed her a few of my bracelets to wear.

"You look beautiful."

"Thanks bestie."

"Who's ready to go to the Magic Kingdom?" Demi poked her head in.

"Me!" Kenna ran out the door and I ran after.

We just need to make it through this trip. Then I can tell Demi everything. And she'll fix it. She has to.