Disney World

"Let's take the monorail to Magic Kingdom!" Demi grabbed both of her girls' hands and skipped down the hallway.

Once we boarded the monorail Demi pulled silver Minnie ears out of her purse and put them on.

McKenna sat next to me while Mackenzie was posing on the opposite seat.

"Mommy take a picture!"

"Aw Kenzie, that's beautiful!" Demi turned the camera to Kenna and I. "Let me get a picture of my other two princesses!" Kenna hid her face.

"C'mon baby girl, let me see your beautiful smile!"

Kenna shook her head. It was then that I saw Kenzie. She was standing behind Demi making faces at Kenna. That would have been the usual rude antics of Kenzie that Kenna was used to. But this time Kenzie's hands went to her stomach. She pointed at Kenna and then mouthed the word "Fat".

I knew for a fact that Demi didn't allow discussion of body image in a negative way like that. She was very strict about that. Kenzie had to have learned that somewhere else. It was absolutely disgusting. I knew then that I had to do something very soon.

We walked off the monorail and I held Kenna's hand. She had her head hanging low still so I whispered in her ear. "You're beautiful. Fat doesn't mean anything. But you're kind, polite, sweet, and funny. And that means something."

She picked her head up and smiled. We entered the park and walked straight towards Cinderella castle.

"Mommy I'm gonna live there when I'm older!" Kenzie ran towards the castle before Demi grabbed her, tickled her and set her down.

"It's so pretty!" Kenna whispered to me.

"Let's go girls! Kenna and Kenzie, you are going to get princess makeovers!"

We headed into the castle and the twins were taken by their "fairy godmothers". They had their hair and makeup done. Kenna chose the hairstyle with colorful clip ins spiking out all over, while Kenzie went for a sparkling bun. The entire time they were separated so Kenna was able to enjoy herself. She actually looked happy.

When it was time for them to put their dresses on I went in to help Kenna.

"I don't think it's going to fit me." Kenna whispered to me.

"Of course it will. It's your size."

"I don't know. I don't think I want to wear it." She looked ready to burst into tears.

"I promise it'll fit. Just try."

After a few minutes of coaxing Kenna put the pink sleeping beauty dress on.

"See? It fits. You look amazing!"

"Thank you." Kenna twirled in the mirror and smiled at her reflection.

After the princess makeovers' we headed to eat in the castle. Demi took Kenna to the bathroom and I took that time to talk to Kenzie.

"I see you being mean to Kenna. I'm telling Demi when we get home, so I would suggest that you stop now. Or else I'll have a lot more fresh in my brain to tell Demi."

"Whatever. I'm a princess. You can't tell me what to do." She rolled her eyes.

"I'm not telling you what to do. It would just be ashame if Demi didn't let you be part of that new tv show you're auditioning for if she finds out what you're doing to Kenna."

"She can't stop me. She doesn't care what I do to Kenna."

"Sure. Your mother, who's spoken out against bullying multiple times, who's been bullied, wouldn't care that her own daughter is a bully!"

"I'm not a bully!"

"Yes you are. You're bullying McKenna."

"Because she has to be punished for what she did!"

"What did she do?"

"She's stealing all of your attention! And she stole all of Wilmer's attention. She's going to hog attention from a lot of other people too if I don't do something!"

Just then Demi walked up with Kenna. I hoped that I taught Kenzie something.

Maybe she really didn't know what she was doing? Or was she playing dumb? She clearly has a jealousy problem. But her reasoning for tormenting her twin sister seems sketchy. A 5 year old can't really just be a mean person though. Can she?

How long has this been going on anyway? I only just started noticing it. But she could have very well been hiding it from me before.

As I pondered the questions I had running through my head we sat down for dinner. This was my first meal at a restaurant since I've been working hard at recovery.

My head immediately went to disconnecting me from the situation. I tried to use the tricks Demi taught me to bring myself back. I focused on the sound of the chattering crowd, the smells of strong food, the feeling of the velvet chair on my legs, and the movement my chest did every time I took a breath. The sounds of the restaurant were starting to become overwhelming and I started to feel like I was blind to reality. I felt Demi grab my arm and lead me into a restroom stall.

"I can tell you're freaking out. Talk to me."

She held my hands as she stared into my eyes. It felt nice to be comforted.

"It's overwhelming. I tried to do what we talked about but it was too hard."

"Do you want to go back in and I can try talking to you? The twins and I can distract you."

"Sure I'll try."

"I'm proud of you baby girl."

As I sat down at the table again, Kenna reached down and held my hand.

We talked about which rides to go on, and about what we thought of the restaurant.

I managed to finish my meal. As we got up from the table Kenna tugged at my shirt. I bent down.

"I'm proud of you bestie."

We went and met Cinderella. Kenzie surprised me when she let Kenna go first. Both girls were starstruck. It was adorable.

We finished the night with the fireworks show.

The sappy music made me start crying. I was holding Kenna up so she could see. She noticed and wiped my tears away.

As we walked back to the monorail that night, Kenna and Kenzie were holding hands.

Kenna was so happy. But I knew she was only doing it because she didn't want to get into trouble. It made me sick.

The next two days we spent frolicking around the magic kingdom. We met character after character and rode countless rides.

I was able to forget the issues I was struggling with and just enjoy myself.

Kenzie continued with her tantrums but, she did continue to be falsely nice to Kenna.

We were finally on the plane going home.

"Cece you were right. Disney World did make me happy! It made Kenzie happy too!"

"Yeah. I love you bestie. Let's get some sleep."

I didn't want to break it to Kenna that her sister was only being nice because she didn't want to get into trouble. But I was going to have to.

--------------------------------------------