Chapter Two - 4: Drowning Deadly Memories

(not me forgetting to put the aesthetic last chapter 😭😭)
happy birthday to aki kasaino! (28th october) cthulhu and lucifer share her bday too - her words not mine.
also, fun fact!: aki's birthday takes place in the story! will she be alive for it? who knows...

As the morning streams into my dorm, it aches to open my eyelids, as if they're sealed shut with iron

As the morning streams into my dorm, it aches to open my eyelids, as if they're sealed shut with iron. Light hitting my eyes suddenly, it takes a moment for me to adjust before I roll over with a thunk.

I don't know how long it's been since Charlotte's death.
Perhaps a minute, a day, or even a week. Maybe we've been here for years, so adjusted to seeing one another, adapted to living in his hellhole of injustice.
But I can't think. Thinking is too painful.

My handbook rests on my bedside table, just waiting to be held again, to be turned on and used for the first time in what seems like days. I reach for it, flicking the on button as the screen lights up.
A week to the day. A week on the dot since Charlotte's death.
A groan escapes my lips, as I practically hoist myself out of bed, trying to maintain steadiness as I adapt to the hard floor beneath me.

Removing my silk pyjamas, I step into the shower, shuddering as the sudden scorching heat hits my skin. I want to leap out from under the spray but I don't move, standing there as I let myself be scorched by the hot water. Not even bothering to shampoo, I step out as quickly as I'd got in. Can't risk just sitting here for another four hours.

That same Lorem branded hoodie and matching pair of leggings stare back at me as I emerge from the bathroom. Crumpled in a heap on the floor, just waiting to be picked up. I sigh and slip them on.
A place like Lorem can't even afford cotton?
It hits me suddenly. Why? Why can't they afford it? What stops such a luxurious university from indulging in a better material?
My memories of any kind of Lorem merchandise are foggy but I'd imagine it'd scratch less on the skin.
Perhaps the mastermind didn't even have time.
But no. I can't think about the mastermind. Brushing my thoughts away, I open the door and head to the canteen.

Expecting to see a whole swarm of people, it appears only a few of us decided to show. Yashira, Daiki, Haruka, Mamo, Shiro, Kuroko, and - strangely enough - Kohi. It's shocking to see him outside of the kitchen, normally slaving away at some kind of intricate meal that's almost too pretty to eat. Instead, he seems to be hovering outside the kitchen, staring anxiously at the door.
"Hey there," I say, and he jumps in fright as I approach him.
"Gah!" He shrieks, recoiling, "O-oh, good morning, Kihona."
I raise an eyebrow, "Why're you lingering? You look a bit anxious there."

Kohi glances back at the kitchen door, a worried expression flashing across his eyes before he turns to me, lowering his voice to a whisper.
"Ayana's in there," He leans in close to my ear, "She's cooking and she won't let me in."
I laugh, "Really?"
A loud crash sounds from inside the kitchen and I can't imagine what she could possibly be doing.
Shoving Kohi aside, I grasp at the door handle, preparing to make an entrance, but Kohi's boney hands grip my wrists as I try to move.
"Don't!" He cries, "She doesn't want to be interrupted, maybe we should just le-"
"Don't be ridiculous," I chuckle, "I'm sure she won't mind. And what can she do? Throw a cheese grater at me?"
My joke hasn't seemed to rub off on him too well, his wayward frown not moving. I sigh and push the door open.