Chapter Four - 9: A Moral Catastrophe

tw: domestic abuse, suicide, homophobic slurs (im queer lol)

Shit.

"What, what, WHAT?" Monokuma gawks, his jaw dropped open like a nutcracker, "It's a draw! Oh blimey, ooh 'eck!"

I don't know what I did. I don't know why I did it. I just did. And now more than ever I want to take it back.

Drawing my eyes across the room, I scan everyone's faces. Kaso just stares back at me. His eyes are nothing now - plain grey orbs resting inside his skull. Mouth slightly open, it seems like he wants to say something. But he just can't, just standing trembling in his position, pale face white like a marble sculpture.

Haruka's face is what draws me in the most. Furrowed brow, bright pink cheeks, arms crossed across her chest: fury. She looks like she's ready to launch herself at me, to spit in my face and throw me against the wall. Yet still, she's quiet. Just silently fuming.

"Oh, heavens," Shiro gasps when he sees the screen, turning to Monokuma, "What do you propose we do about this?"

"Are we gonna die?" Aki says, her voice cracking.

I hear Kaso's breathing become shallow, burying his nails into his palms, "N-no, fuck no."

Mitsuharu glances up at the bear's throne, "Is that it? Can we just go?"

"Absolutely fucking not!" Monokuma snaps, swiping his retracted claws at Mitsuharu, just grazing the top of his head, "This is not a final verdict, and I won't stop 'til we get one!"

"Please don't do this!" Haruka cries, "Come on, we agreed Kaso didn't do it. Let's just go back to our dorms, right guys?"

No one speaks, leaving her standing unanswered. She sifts a few nervous chuckles, desperate to fill the silence.

"We didn't agree shit," Ayana sighs, "That's why we're here."

"Enough fightin', ladies," Monokuma springs up from his throne, "Let's settle this the only fair way."

As he says this, he leaps, landing in the centre of the trial circle with a graceful pirouette. In his hand rests a small silver coin that he displays to each of us. Carved onto it is a profile of Monokuma with a crown atop his head. Typical, really.

"Kaso," He grins, teeth sharp as blades, "Heads or tails?"

Kaso grimaces, clenching his jaw as he steps away from the bear, "Wh-what the fuck?"

"You heard me, mate," Monokuma continues, "Heads or tails?"

"Are you kiddin' me?" Kaso yells, a growl in his tone, "You want me to gamble my fuckin' life on a coin?"

"That's just sick!" Haruka says with her wavering voice, "You can't do that to him, this is life or death."

"And so is the rest of this bloody killing game," Monokuma whirls, glaring at Haruka, "What makes this any different? This is the draw procedure, I'll have you know."

Mitsuharu frowns, "Seriously? You have all of this elaborately planned out, but when there's a draw you flip a god damn coin?"

"Don't diss the process, man," Monokuma shrugs, "This ain't what I expected, like I said, the case is in your hands."

I can't quite comprehend this. Is this really part of his plan? No matter what, I can't shake the feeling that this isn't right. Whoever is controlling Monokuma is weird as hell.

"So, " He turns back to Kaso, "I repeat. Heads or tails? If ya refuse, we can do this the easy way."

Kaso gulps, his shivering only growing more vigorous. Sweat rolls down his foreheads, dripping like hot tears falling down his cheeks. I've never seen him like this before - frozen in a constant state of fear. A tall, proud man finally beginning to slip, like the power he's letting slide from his fingers.