run fast and don't look back

"You're annoying," I sighed, waiting for his cue.

    "You're beautiful," he said plainly.

    "You should be the first person I kill," I think out loud.

    "Impossible," he said, opening the door slightly to see if any people were out in the open.

    Van opens it up wider, seeing as there was nobody out — I assumed it was late at night. He was especially careful, afraid the door would make any noise.

    When the door had been extended far enough so that we could both fit, he nodded his head towards it — motioning for me to follow him.

    I did not hesitate to follow him after he slipped out, his eyes wandering around the room. This was the most serious I had seen him, not even when he was getting beat up was he this serious.

    I snapped out of my thoughts as his hand reached out to grab my wrist and pull me along with him, his feet slowly and quietly trailing the circumference of the room. I quietly examined the cafeteria, it being eerily quiet only adding to the suspense and horrible gut feeling.

    We turned into a corridor, the cafeteria now behind us as we slowly and softly placed our footsteps in front of us. Van kept looking over his shoulder, constantly checking if anyone were behind us.

    We almost tiptoed passed multiple bedroom doors in the long corridor, holding our breaths as we were careful to not wake anyone up.

    The whole place felt claustrophobic. The walls were closer together, barely able to fit two people walking side by side, probably why Van walked ahead of me. It looks plain, too, with the grey walls.

    The end of the corridor came before he came to a halt in his footsteps, making me bump into him unknowingly. He looked at me, placing a finger to his lips. 'We have to be very quiet,' he mouthed.

    You totally did not establish that before. I scrunched my eyebrows in confusion before he shook his head, staring straight at me.

    'I'm serious,' he said. His eyes were filled with concern, as if we could die — which, we probably could.

    Before giving me another warning, his head peaked the corner, checking his to see if anyone was there before his hand slowly pulled me into the connecting hallway.

    We immediately paused, hearing the door in front of us open before I hastily pulled Van back, his back hitting against the wall as his hand covered his mouth.

    He heavily breathed, his eyes opened wide as he realized he had almost gotten caught. This was the most frightened I had seen him.

    'Fuck,' he mouthed.

    "Isn't there another way?" I whispered, barely audible.

    He shook his head, placing his palm over his eyes in frustration.

    We stood there for a few moments, waiting for whoever opened the door to close it again and making sure nobody that was asleep would wake up.

     Van placed his hand on the gun on the holster, as if he was about to shoot someone with it. "Do you have a silencer on it?" I whispered.

    He shook his head. "You'll wake everyone up," I whispered again. If our footsteps can wake someone up, then I was almost sure a gunshot would wake up all 500 of the people sleeping here.

    "Don't worry, I have a plan, babygirl," he whispered before playfully winked. I rolled my eyes.

    A few moments after, the door clicked again, as if signaling the person had entered back into the room.