Chapter 20

Thomas POV

He and Minho were still running, trying to memorize everything with the eyes. Once in a while they would get a piece of paper and draw lines and squares on it.

Thomas could feel the wind on his hair, messing up all of his thoughts about Newt.

He was feeling guilty for yelling at Newt and angry at himself for letting that happen. They had a special connection, different from his and Theresa's. And now Thomas had probably destroyed it. Destroyed his friendship, the connection or anything related to Newt. Everything inside him wanted to go back in time and fix things, but he knew he couldn't. He just hoped it wasn't too late.

He had to talk to Newt and tell him how much he felt guilty and sorry. That was the only thing he could do.

But how would he apologize for everything he had done to Newt? How was he going to explain that it was all his fault without him wanting it to be? "Newt, I'm sorry for all the pain. It was all my fault. Forgive me, please?"

The thought of how many possible ways Thomas could screw things even more was infinite. He had to be careful and choose the right words.

Thomas wanted to ask Theresa about it and wait for her to come with a plan to express everything he wanted to show to Newt.

"Hey, Theresa." Thomas tried to connect with her.

"Yes?" He heard her voice.

"I did something horrible and I don't know what to do."

Silence.

"Tom, what did you do?"

"I just want to talk to you. But I can't now, because I have to focus on the maze."

"Alright." She seemed annoyed, and then she wasn't there anymore.

"Theresa?"

No answer.

"What did I do?" He tried again.

Nothing. It was like she had went offline, he couldn't feel her presence anymore.

"Focus, shuck face! Focus!" He heard Minho.

"Sorry." Thomas muttered getting a pencil and drawing lines.

He wasn't focusing on the maze, lately. With all the drama with Newt and the new thing with Theresa, focusing was the last thing he had been doing.

"I promise I'll focus more after today. Everything will go back to normal. Even Newt." Thomas said turning to Minho.

"I hope so. I just want you to know that there are a lot of people waiting for you to find a way out." Minho said.

"I know." That was Thomas response. He knew how much people wanted to get out. But he couldn't do that without solving things out with Newt. Without his support.

With these two words, Thomas finally decided that he was going to talk to Newt and Theresa, and then he could finally focus on running.

But at that moment, all he could think about was the words he could say to Newt.

What if it was already too late?

--------------------------------------

Newt's POV

Newt had no where to go. He walked out of the forest and then went back to the woods. He had to get out of there, but he didn't know where to go, so all he did was walk and explore every inch of that tiny forest until he got bored of it.

He fell on the floor and rested his head on the ground, feeling fallen leaves cracking behind his head.

Looking to the top of the trees, Newt realized how stuck he was in a maze with grievers around. The only option he had was the Glade, but he had no where to go in it.

Since the fight with Alby, Newt was trying to avoid him, by staying in the forest. But he also didn't want to stay there, the last place he had talked to Thomas and where they had their fight.

Maybe he could wait on the doors for Minho. He didn't fight with him even tho he could feel how tense and worried he was around Newt. But he couldn't wait him there because he would have to see Thomas, another person he was trying to avoid. And talking to Minho later wasn't a good idea either, partially because he would probably be with Alby or would try to convince Newt to talk about all of his problems. But wasn't that what he wanted? A friendly face who would hear him and understand his frustration?

Nothing was going to happen if he hid in the forest, pretending he didn't exist.

He got up and his legs started to move towards the way out of the tiny forest. Newt wasn't sure what he was doing but he kept walking towards the doors.

His legs were unstoppable. With the corner of his eyes, he tried to see if someone was going to stop him. No one was even looking at him. He kept moving.

When he was close enough to cross the doors with three steps, he stopped. The hope inside him was still beating in his heart. Newt wasn't planning on killing himself.

He saw a black-haired boy running along with a brown-haired one. His heart almost stopped, but the hope fought to resist. Newt knew that one day he would have to face Thomas and he thought he was ready for it, until he saw him running to his direction. He had to resist.

Minho and Thomas silhouettes started to get bigger and closer. He saw Thomas face. He was looking at the floor, trying to avoid Newt's eyes, like he was some kind of Medusa.

Thomas finally reunited some courage and looked straight into Newt's eyes. His brown eyes were so sad that almost made Newt run to hug him and whisper to him that everything was okay.

But it wasn't. Nothing was okay. Newt avoided the brown eyes and looked to Minho.

"Newt?" The asian boy said.

Thomas was next to Minho, who was breathing heavily. Newt's eyes went back to Thomas. His face was wet with sweat and his hair was sticking on his forehead and neck.

"Newt..." He heard Thomas whispering to him.

Newt felt his heart stopping and his legs losing control. Everything started to get black and he fell into a void of darkness.

---------------------

I gotta say this is one of my fav chapters, idk why

mehhhh I hope you guys liked it, and since I'm busy with school and stuff rn, it will take me a bit longer to write and update, so I'll start telling you guys when I'll update my next chapter.

I was thinking of writing another fanfic(about Newtmas, obviously) but I decided to finish this one first because who the shank likes unfinished fanfics?

Aaaand again, thank you for voting, reading and commenting. This fanfic has 6k reviews wow tysm guys!