Chapter 9

Thomas POV

Why was Newt so angry at him? Was it because of that girl that he didnt even know the name? Thomas really wanted to now...

He looked at the sky. The sun was still shining, even tho it was almost sunset.

Thomas looked to the walls. They were open and would close by sunset.

He watched as the asian boy, Minho, and the other runners came running from the doors.

Thats definitely what he wanted to do. Become a runner. Try to figure a way out with the others.

"Thinking of becoming a runner?" A voice behind him asked.

Thomas was going to answer when he realized who it was. Gally.

"Dont forget you broke the law, we will talk about your destiny. Dont lose hope. Maybe you'll become a runner and have to run one more night. Prove us you can survive one more night."

Before Thomas could think of something smart to answer, Minho showed up.

"Whats going on here?"

"I was just telling this greenie about the trial."

"Now that I'm back we can go and talk about it. Go call Newt and meet me in the kitchen." He told Gally. "And you, shank-face," he said pointing at Thomas. "wait here until we come back."

Thomas sat on the grass and watched Minho getting smaller and smaller until he reached the kitchen.

Thomas fell asleep.

--------------------------------------

"Wake up, shank-face. You are going to the homestead."

Thomas opened his eyes looking at Gally, Minho and Newt. The sun had disappeared, it was already night. Gally didnt seem really happy. Minho was kind of excited, but also tired. Newt was trying to avoid contact. He looked sad.

"What? Why?" Thomas got up, feeling really lost.

"We decided to make you a runner, but since you broke a rule, your punishment will be a day in the homestead. Starting now."

They led him to a simple building with no lights.

"Get in, greenie." Gally opened the door for him. He entered. "See you tomorrow."

And then they left, leaving Thomas in a complete darkness.