|19| Emergency Room

Start from the beginning

(Y/N)'s mother held her face in her hands and cried. The woman who sat next to her rubbed her back and comforted her. Her daughter was visibly upset even though she had no idea what happened to her sister. Akiteru's own mother was in a similar boat. The elder Yamaguchi tended to her. His brother's best friend looked as if he was about to break.

The air in there was suffocating. Akiteru really didn't want to be in there any longer with the crying women.

He turned to the little girl and whispered, "Do you want to come with niichan and get something from the vending machine? They have delicious candy." She looked at him with her watering eyes and nodded. She took his hand and led him that way. The parents barely noticed their departure.

Once they were about after way, he asked for her name. "I'm Ichika."

"I'm Takahashi Akiteru. I'm Kei's older brother."

"Aki-niichan, when will (Y/N) be able to come home? I know she's always sick, but it's been forever since she's had to spend the night here."

That was interesting, to say the least. Akiteru caught that something was going on by how the doctor spoke, but Ichika had confirmed it. Now, if only he knew the connection between her and Kei. "I don't know, Ichika. But, she'll be better soon. You'll see."

Her eyes lit up. "Really? Then, that means Kei-niichan will be better soon, and then, we can watch movies together again."

Akiteru smiled. Perhaps, his brother was getting better. He was worried that he tried to commit suicide with (Y/N), and maybe, he did. But, they had people in their lives that would tell them that they were loved.

~*~*~*~

It was dark, and he wasn't exactly sure where he was.  Tsukishima Kei remembered falling.  But, it seemed to be over in an instant.  Now, he couldn't even see the hand in front of his face.  Was he really dead?  Or was this a crazy dream? 

He tried to move but was unable to.  He heard voices.  They were too far away to make out.  There was the faint smell of flowers.  A gentle warmth enveloped him. 

Then, the voices got closer.  "For once, can you stop accusing me of cheating, you fucking bitch?"  He flinched.  It was his father's voice. 

"I know I'm gone all the time for work, but why don't you just love me like I love you?"  his mother begged.  "Why am I not good enough for you?  What's so interesting that you have to sleep with her?"

"I'm not with another woman.  I might not be the best person, but I am not unfaithful.  I am your husband, and you are mine.  Get that into your damn head, Umi!"

"You're lying!"

"I'm not!"

"Then, show me the evidence that you still love me.  Not once this evening you have said those three words.  Not once have you kissed me or hugged me or even touched me."

"You should know by now that I don't have to do anything of those things.  You should know that even if I don't show affection, that affection is still there."

"Damn you!  For someone playing the part of husband, you're doing a terrible job."

Tsukishima felt small.  He remembered that night.  He was curled up in his bed with his music blasting from his headphones.  But, nothing drowned out their voices. 

That night he had cried himself to sleep.  He hated it.  He hated how they constantly fought.  Their fights seemed so petty and useless.  It made him feel like either side was right.  He was torn. 

It happened to be one of the nights his brother had late practice for volleyball.  Tsukishima was alone in the house with his parents.  He had no one to talk to or to tell him it was okay.  It was like they didn't care.  They didn't care.  They were so caught up in themselves that they left their son in the middle of the ocean on an island.  No one would rescue.  There was no way to swim to shore.  He was stuck in that hellish place he called home. 

The noise and voices only got louder.  Just when he thought it couldn't get any worse, another voice joined them.  "Kei, let's break up." 

'No,' he thought to himself. 

"This isn't going to work," Shiro Rika said again.  "There's no way.  It's only going to end terribly."

'It did.'  Though he couldn't hear his own words from that day, he still remembered how he rambled on.  He didn't want the last anchor in his life to leave.

"I'm sorry, Kei."  Then, he heard a peal of laughter he didn't remember.  "Too bad, you're the one who should be sorry.  You left me, Kei.  You gave up.  And, now, you're in love with another woman.  Who says you aren't going to run as you did with me?"

'I'm not going to let that happen.  It would be the same.  This is my life.  I decide how this story ends.'