Chapter 17 ~ His voice

"Hey."
I shot up from the ground at the sound of a deep voice. I looked around me. The only possible source of the sound stood in the stall beside me. I pushed the thought away. It couldn't be him. I realized it was late. The stable had a eerie feeling over it and the only light sources was small lanterns hanging on the walls. Every horse seemed to be asleep. I turned around, and was surprised when I met two dark eyes.
"Hey." he said again.
I just stared at him.
"...Hey..." I stuttered. "..Doc."
Something unreadable flew by his eyes but it disappeared as soon as it came.
"Unknown horse." he mumbled and nodded at me.
"You can say Dark." I mumbled back.
I couldn't believe he was talking to me.
"Hey.. Dark?" he said.
"Yeah?" I looked at him.
"Watch out for.. Him.." he mumbled and looked down.
"Watch out for who?" I asked and stared at him.
"Never mind. I've already said too much." he muttered and refused to meet my eyes. "Night."
I stared at him. What was that about? He told me to watch out for someone, but who? I started feeling dizzy and I realized I hadn't eaten anything since before last days training. I walked over to the hay and let my head drop to the ground. The hay filled my empty stomach and it felt good. After eating all the delicious hay I fell asleep again, worried about who might the threatening me.
~~~~~~
I was drawn out if my sleep by Jake, the blond guy who's foot I hurt. He was still limping slightly.
".. Hey.." he mumbled and looked worriedly at his hurt foot.
I snorted. He had nothing like the confidence Stephanie had.
"Ehm.. I'm taking you to Stephanie now.." he started but then sighed loudly. "Please don't hurt me again."
He was still tense when he clipped the lead rope to my halter. I never thought of it but my halter is actually neon green. I followed Jake out from the stall and the corridor but he took another way instead of going outside to the pastures and the arena. We walked past the wash stalls and through a big door. Before me was a giant indoor arena. Stephanie stood in the middle of the arena, talking to Sir. I could hear them.
"I must say I'm impressed, Samson." Sir said nodding.
"Thank you so much for giving me free hands with her, Sir Livingstone." Stephanie thanked him and her excitement shined through her polite smile.
"Well, I won't disturb you anymore. I might stay and watch your work." Sir walked away from the middle of the arena.
"Hey Jack! Thanks for fetching her for me!" Stephanie said thankfully and took the lead rope.
"No problem." he mumbled and hurried away.
She looked weirdly after him but shrugged and turned her attention to me.
"We're going for a short walk around the arena, girl! And I think Sir Livingstone is watching us." she giggled and gave me a pet.
She started walking and I followed her. I followed her around the arena for a while until she lead me back to the middle.
"Let's lunge her some more, Steph! That's good training." Like called as he walked up to me, carrying the same girth and pad as yesterday on one arm and the leather halter on the other. Together they put both of them on real quick and Stephanie finished off by attaching the long rope to the leather halter.
"Wait! I'll just tighten this on the bridle." Luke mumbled, gesturing at a certain part of the leather halter, which I know knew was called a bridle.
Luke tightened the bridle and then gave Stephanie thumbs up while he handed her the long whip.
"All done!" he said while he walked away from the middle if the arena and stood by the wall beside the entrance.
Stephanie nodded back and loosened her grip of the rope as she asked me for a walk. I picked up a steady walk around her as she gave me a metre wide circle to move around her. She moved the whip slightly behind my back but she didn't ask me for a trot. This confused me but I figured out she wanted a faster walk. We worked like this for a while, in different gaits.
~~~~~~~
I was exhausted when Stephanie left me in my stall.
"Thank you for not embarrassing me in front of Sir Livingstone." she whispered and scratched my neck. "He has two daughters, Lily and Evelyn and I think Luke likes Evelyn."
She chuckled lightly and looked at me again.
"Don't tell anyone I told you, though."
I snorted. Of course I wouldn't.
"Have a nice rest now. We'll train some more later in the afternoon." she lightly kissed my head and closed the stall door. Leaving me with the feeling of comfort and safety.
-----------------------------
From now on I'll have pictures of all human characters in each chapter. In this chap Luke's on the side. As you may have seen I've added the cast for this story. Tell me what you think!

Hugs,

Z