Chapter 10 ~ Dont trust those with two legs

Winter. The hoof beats from a big group of horses. The familiar neigh from lots of horses I knew. It was all too much. Suddenly, everything turned blurry.

---

I woke up with a terrible headache. The memories from my dream were still fresh inside my head. It was hard to remember what was a dream and what was real. The rising sun threw light into my stall and small particles of dust flew around in the air. There was no sign from last nights incident. The unfamiliar sound of a wheelbarrow reached my ears and I looked out of my stall. The red hair was the first thing that caught my eye, then the girl who had it. A pretty short, sunburnt girl. She was wearing a pair of jeans and a t-shirt saying 'This Ain't My First Rodeo', but what I payed most attention to was all the hay in the wheelbarrow. The girl looked up, saw me and smiled.

"Hey girl! You're the new one, right?" she said and walked up to my stall. "I have breakfast for you"

I watched her open the stall door and throw in some hay. The sudden motion made me back into a corner of the stall and I looked at her with a scared expression.

"It's okay girl" she said with a calm voice and I relaxed a little.

She closed the stall door and left me alone to eat my hay. That dream had to be a message, right? I wished so badly I had someone to talk to. In the herd, I could always talk to Lotus or one of the other old mares. They always understood. But here, I didn't want to make any friends. I didn't want to trust anyone. I just wanted to escape.

A loud yawn from the stall beside mine woke me up from my thoughts.

"Good morning, Dark" Toppy yawned.

"Morning." I said shortly.

"Someone woke up on the wrong side of the stall, huh?" Toppy chuckled.

I sighed and looked at the few straws of hay that was left.

"Seriously, Dark. What's wrong?" Toppy's voice was much closer than I thought it would be and I spun around.

"Nothing." I sighed and tried to not take eye contact.

"I'm not an idiot. Tell me! I won't judge." she said rolling her eyes.

I didn't answer. Instead, I hoped that someone would come and take me away. I didn't know my wish would be granted so fast.

The sound of talking humans and their shoes against the hard floor approached my stall and I saw Sir and a unknown person.

"She's over there, and I tell you, Doctor. She's stunning!" Sir told the other person and nodded my way.

"What's her name?" The unknown person who had to be Doctor asked.

"She haven't got one, yet. But I'm thinking about something that matches her colour." Sir answered as he opened my stall door.

"Hi, girl." Doctor said and tried to pet me, but I avoided him and pinned my ears back.

Sir called for someone and the girl from this morning arrived.

"What's the matter, Sir?" she asked.

"Please put the mare on cross ties." he said and the girl hurried to get a lead rope.

Sir and the doctor talked about something but I didn't listen. Then the girl came back with a brown lead rope.

"Hurry up." The doctor said irritated.

"There's no hurry when it comes to my horses. I didn't pay you to order my workers." Sir said, obviously irritated at the doctor. "Is it okay, Stephanie?"

The girl nodded and walked up to me. I turned tense and looked at her.

"It's okay, girl. I'm not going to hurt you. Never." Stephanie whispered.

I didn't know why, but I trusted her. I let her clip the lead rope to my halter, but I was still tense. She lead me out of the stall, past Sir and the doctor and stopped me in the middle of the corridor. She put me on cross ties and gave me a soft pet on my head.

"Good luck." she said and stepped back to give place to the doctor.

He held something sharp in his hand. He lifted it, and I felt the needle pierce my skin. After what felt like minutes, he took out the needle.

"Thank you, doctor. Please send the results as soon as possible." Sir said and gave the doctor a quick nod.

"I will, Sir. Goodbye." said the doctor and left.

"Give her some treats and bring her back to her stall." Sir ordered Stephanie and lie left, too.

"Then it's just you and me left, girl." Stephanie chuckled.

I snorted. I felt like I trusted Stephanie, even though I tried to not. She took something out of her pocket and opened her hand in front of me. A small biscuit was in the middle of her palm. I carefully sniffed it. It smelled like apples so I quickly ate it. It tasted amazing!

"Good girl!" Stephanie cooed and petted my head.

Then she untied me and clipped the lead rope to my halter. I followed her into my stall and even let her scratch my forehead. Then she left. And I thought what a weird day this had been.

--------------------------------

Okay guys. Next chapter, I've decided I might have someone else's POV. If I have, which human would you like it to be? Please comment. And remember! The competition is still on! Read last chapters A/N if you want the rules!

Hugs,

Z