Amy

Amy is unpacking her bags when a fellow Hufflepuff, Maggie James, comes in and says, "Did you hear that Harry Potter and Ron Weasley Crashed a car into the Willow?"

Amy places an extra blanket in a dresser drawer, "Really?" Amy laughs, "Are they alright?"

Maggie sits down on Amy's bed, "I hope so. I've made it my mission this year to ask out Harry." Amy chuckles and rolls her eyes. Maggie only likes to talk to Amy when she has run out of people to tell, so when she abruptly gets up and leaves, Amy's feelings aren't hurt, she's used to it, but she was hoping that Maggie would at least wait to start doing it after the first day. It used to get to her, but now she understands that she just needs to get through school, then she can get on with her life.

After Amy finishes unpacking, she goes to the Grand Hall, where she was supposed to be an hour ago for dinner, but she hates the way people look at her there. She comes from a Muggle mother and a wizard father, so that makes her a half-blood; she is also American, she grew up in Iowa with her mom, and she visits her dad in the summer. For these reasons, people think don't think that she should be here. She makes her way to an open seat next to a third-year named Charlie Bloom. Charlie turns to Amy and glares, "Why are you late?"

Amy tears a piece of roll off and pops it into her mouth, "I wanted to unpack before anyone else."

"It's disrespectful, and don't talk with your mouth full," Charlie says sternly,

Amy gives him a polite smile. She moves on from the conversation and chews her roast beef while looking around the room. She sees Ginny Weasley at the Gryffindor table sitting with her brothers Fred and George. She then looks at the Ravenclaw table and realizes that she knows no one from that house. She turns her attention to the Slytherin table and see's Draco Malfoy laughing with his friends. She studies him. He walks around the school with confidence, but when he thinks no one is looking, he shows a softer side. A side only Amy has seen because she is, for the most part, invisible, so no one knows that she's there. He must've felt her eyes on him as he chats with his friends because looks up at her.

Shit, Amy thinks and quickly looks down. A few seconds later, she looks back up, and he peaks up at her and smiles softly. What does that mean? Amy thinks, and her heart begins to race. No boy has ever smiled at her like that before. Draco is usually a bit of a bully to her as well, so a smile is out of character for him. She's pretty sure the only time she's ever seen him smile is when he's torturing Harry Potter. She looks down at her plate and tries to hide the smile that paints her lips as she thinks about Draco Malfoy giving her a smile.