Oh, to be Famous

Hilda considers what it would be like to have a following of fans.

• • •

Hulbury (Captain's Table), Galar

Hilda: Oooh I'm so excited! We waited soooo long for a table but it was worth it! I've always wanted to come to this famous restaurant since I was little!

Hilbert (thinking with a hand on his chin): Hmm I wonder if this whole "searching for N" thing is just an elaborate plan so you can go to all the places you've dreamed of, and I got dragged along for the ride...

Hilda (pouting): Hey that's mean! This was your idea too!

Hilbert: I'm just kidding! Besides I'd be happy to go with you anywhere.

Hilda (hushed and gesturing to a table at the back): Hang on, what's going on over there?

Hilbert (turning to look discreetly): It's just 2 people at a table? Huh, and people lining up to see them?

Hilda: Oh my Arceus! That's Nessa, famous gym leader and model! The other looks like Sonia, the last time I remember, she's the granddaughter of this region's Pokémon professor!

Hilbert: So people must be lining up for autographs. The Galar region really does make huge celebrities out of their champion and even gym leaders.

Hilda (looking out the window towards Hulbury Stadium): I mean have you seen those stadiums and crowds?! Aww why can't Unova be like that, I want my own league card and people to ask for my autograph! Our Elite 4 was so scary, with the gates closing behind you and all that!

Hilbert: Don't even get me started on Shauntal's room, that was straight up haunted... But I don't mind how things were done back home, I could never get used to that celebrity treatment they do here. Just imagine we swapped tables with Nessa and Sonia over there. Maybe I just want to have a peaceful and private lunch with you, but we'd always be bombarded with fans wherever we go.

Hilda: I guess you're right about that... I imagine you'd have a lot of fans too. You're just as charming as Champion Leon is.

Hilbert: No way! He's the kinda guy to take losses gracefully, you know that I'm a bit of a sore loser.

Hilda: Just don't lose! Easy!

Hilbert: Wow, thanks for the very helpful advice.

• • •

Hulbury (Station), Galar

Hilbert: Even the train stations are quaint! We stand out like sore thumbs as Unovans.

Hilda (hushed and gesturing towards 2 school kids): Sorry, please just shush for a second. Not to be creepy but I heard those 2 kids mention something interesting.

Schoolboy (speaking to schoolgirl): Being on a train can be boring. I wish I could battle on the train. I heard that you can battle on a subway train in the faraway Unova region.

Hilbert: Oh! He knows about the Battle Subway.

Hilda: Maybe he'll recognise us and ask for our autographs!

Schoolgirl (speaking to schoolboy): I also heard something about the faraway Unova region! Their champions disappeared a few years ago! I head that it's because they went to live in the mountains and they don't talk to anyone, but no one knows why.

Schoolboy (to schoolgirl): No that's wrong! I heard that they were exploring a cave, but then it suddenly fell and they died. No one ever found their bodies though.

Hilda: ...

Hilbert (nervous laughter): You're kinda famous? Just like you wanted...!

• • •

Notes: Thinking about that artwork titled "Vanished Hero" in Studio Castelia.