Chapter 9: Abigail

Hermione9505 thanks for the follow :))

***

Chapter Nine

Catherine

I slip out swiftly, quietly shutting the gates behind me.

It is 11:46pm.

It is night. It is my time.

I have never done this before- left the Duns- for two years I haven't.

Today, however, my past and this unrulling tsunami of emotions stuck inside get the better of me. I run towards my car which is hidden behind the trees. I stroke the wind gently, one hand on the car door, the other above my head, as if I were waving.

I smile and pull my jacket a little closer, getting inside.

William knows of my little escape, he can hear me - I know it- as I flounder down the halls on my way to the exit- but he doesn't say anything. Dear old, good, William.

I click on a button on the screen in front of me and the top of the car lowers down. I push on the accelerator and run away, my hair flowing behind me, giggling happily like a child.

I swerve onto the corner as I reach the city, the lights glowing dimly, perfectly highlighting the puddles and wet leaves hidden behind the darkness all drenched from the showers that took place earlier today.

I slow down, turning towards a familiar lane and driving carefully over the wet streets.

Even from here, I can hear blaring party music coming from ahead of me.

As I get closer, I realize the music is coming from my house and for a second, I wonder why my parents are having a party full of teenagers.

Teenagers.

Everywhere.

Making out on the driveway, making out at the doorstep, drunk kids flinging empty bottles against the windows. Oh my god. They are dressed in very little- especially the girls- and they doesn't seem to be bothered by the gaudy stares they receive- they welcome it, instead. I shake my head in disappointment. I don't believe it.

Not wanted to waste any more time here, I carefully drive further on, my eyes still on the ridiculous events going on in my house.

And then I push on the brakes all of a sudden. What the hell?

A little girl is sitting behind the house, leaning against the walls. In her hands, she holds a slice of pizza and a bottle of water. Her blonde hair is loose and left roughly over her tiny, delicate shoulders. She starts into the emptiness in front of her, not bothering to eat.

She couldn't be more than nine.

I thrash my car carefully into the side of the road and get out, running over to the child. I sit down on my toes, slowly snaking my hand around her.

"Hey..." I say her in a gently tone. "Why are you out here? Where's mommy and daddy?" She doesn't reply. I frown, worried.

I put out my hand and carefully draw aside the curtain of hair blocking her eyes and tuck them behind her ears.

She has green eyes- pretty eyes- and soft, peach, pouting lips. Her cheeks are red and covered with streaks of tears. I reach out to her puffy eyes and wipe her tears away with my thumb.

"My name is Catherine." I say. "And I'm here to help you."

I look at her expectantly. She nods slowly but still doesn't say anything.

"What happened? Why are you out here during a night like this, behind the house?" I ask as I put my jacket over her shoulders, pulling her up to her feet. "Why don't come with me, I'll help you out."

I hide my surprise as she readily agrees with me and puts her hand in mine, cowering behind my legs. I pick her up and put her feet around me waist and then walk quickly to the car.

The moment I put her down and fasten the belt around her, she starts crying- roaring more like- and I hopelessly try coaxing her. I sigh pathetically and drive further away from the blaring music to some peace with a wailing child at the back of my car.

-

"My name is Abigail." She says finally, licking the ice cream preciously. "That was my house." She looks up. "Are you kidnapping me?"

I laugh openly at her question. "No, Abigail, I'm not kidnapping you- though I am trying to help."

She nods, as if taking this into consideration. "Why did you get me here?"

I sigh and get off my position on the grass.

We are sitting in Peter's front lawn. There's no screeching music, no drunk teenagers. There is silence- which is exactly what I had come looking for.

"This is my best friend's house. My best friend killed himself for us."

"Was he a boy or a girl?"

I smirk and look at her from the corner of my eye. "He was a boy."

"So you mean you boyfriend." It's not a question. She giggles nervously as I turn red.

"Abigail, why were you outside? Where are your parents?"

She licks the ice cream off her fingers. "My brother sent me outside because I'm too small to spin a bottle!" She huffs innocently. I huff into the night.

"And mommy and daddy?"

"They went away."

"Where did they go? And when?"

"They went away on my ninth birthday."

"When did you turn nine, Abigail?"

"Two weeks back."

I nod and stare at the night sky- infinite and full of stars.

A/N: 

I can't decide which song would be a better fit for this chapter:

Infinity by One Direction

OR

Sky full of stars by Coldplay

Tell me what you think...