33

I could see them again. Standing there, watching me. There was nothing around them, there never was. Just white; that's all you could see. They both had soft smiles on their faces like they were happy to see me. I tried to go near them, to touch them. I just wanted to give them a hug one more time, but my feet wouldn't move.

Mom lowered her head, her eyes dropping to what she was holding. She was smiling down at a baby in her arms, wrapped in a pink blanket.I was confused at first. I didn't understand, but eventually I realized it. That was my baby. Their grandchild.

My eyes shot open, my heart pounding as I took in my surroundings. I was still in the hotel room in Vegas. Niall was asleep next to me.

I pushed the sheets away from my sweaty body as I sat up, trying to slow my heart rate down. I couldn't get over how real that dream felt. It was just a dream, wasn't it? I've had a lot of different dreams over the last year or two. Some of them disturbing, some terrifying, some confusing, and even a few peaceful ones, but none of them made me feel the way this one did.I covered my mouth with my hand as I started to cry, sobs eventually leaving me. I stood up from the bed as quietly as I could, my feet padding across the carpet as I intended to go to the bathroom, but Niall's voice stopped me in my tracks.

"Babe?" He called, his voice gravelly.

I stopped, turning around to look at him and my hand dropped from my mouth. He waved me back over, pulling up the covers and I walked to him, climbing underneath them. He held me tightly as I cried. He didn't ask any questions until I finally calmed down.

"Do you want to tell me what happened?" He asked quietly. "Was it another dream?"

I nodded, my head still resting against his chest. "My parents."

"I thought those were usually good dreams?" He questioned.

"They were holding a baby this time." I muttered, my voice shaky.

It felt like hours until he spoke again, but I knew, in reality, it was only a couple of minutes. The way he was holding me didn't allow me to see his face, and I didn't really want to at this point. I couldn't take seeing his heartbroken face again.

"Well, that seems like a sign to me that your parents are taking care of him...or her." He replied.

"A girl." I stated.

"What?" He asked.

"It was a girl. In the dream." I clarified.

"Well...I'm glad our girl is taken care of." He replied, pressing a kiss to the top of my head.

Niall's interpretation of my dream made me feel much better. His positivity always seemed to balance out my negativity. I felt like we were a good match in that way. He always knew how to make things better.

I laid in his arms for a while, neither of us bothering to speak. After about half an hour, I assumed Niall had fallen asleep until he spoke up.

"Can I ask you something?"

I hummed in response.

"Why did you want me to wear a condom?"

I felt my cheeks flush at his question. I had forgotten all about that, but I couldn't blame him for being curious. "

I haven't been on birth control long enough for it to take effect, and I didn't want to risk..." I trailed off, not wanting to finish that sentence, but he seemed to understand.

"That makes sense. I still enjoyed it, nonetheless." He replied, and I could hear the smirk in his voice.

I let out a short breath that sounded like a cross between a scoff and a laugh. "I'm glad. Sorry it's been so long since the last time..."