All Good Things...

Start from the beginning

Merlin giggled at the sight. She glanced at Mordred, who winked at her. 

Merlin walked over to Leon. "This is... different."

Leon tugged at his hair. "This is horrible! My hair has never been straight, I- What the Hades." In the middle of his sentence, Leon's hair bounced back into its usual curls. Leon let out a relieved breath. "I have no idea what just happened, but I'm glad everything's back to normal."

"Me too. I rather like your curly hair."

Leon turned slightly pink. "Thanks, Merlin."

-

The next day, a Round-Table council meeting was held. Merlin was extremely bored. By the looks of it, so was Mordred. Merlin held back a groan as Sir Galahad gave a very lengthy report on the outer-villages of Camelot. 

Mordred caught Merlin's eye. Subtly, he motioned his head towards Gwaine, who also appeared bored, who was leaning against his chair, tilting it so that the front two were off the ground. Merlin held back a grin. She knew exactly what Mordred was going to do, because he did the exact same thing to Gwaine on her birthday. Gwaine's chair flew out from under him. He landed on his butt with a rather loud bang. Gwaine quickly stood up and fixed his chair. He sat back down. "Sorry, that was my bad. Please, carry on."

-

"Merlin!" Merlin turned to see Mordred jogging over to her. 

"Hello Mordred."

"Do you want to help me with a prank?"

"Another one?"

"It's my last one, I promise."

"Who?"

"Percival."

"Alright, I'm in. What's your plan?"

Mordred grinned and showed her the empty bucket that he was carrying. "The first step is to fill this with water."

After retrieving the water, they went over to Percival's chamber. Merlin stood guard while Mordred got to work. He used magic to lift the bucket up. Then he opened Percival's door, just enough to balance the bucket on. He used magic because although he could have done it without, he would have been trapped in Percival's room and unable to escape without causing the water to fall onto him. 

"He's coming!" Merlin yell-whispered.

They hid behind a large tapestry that was across the hall and off to the side of Percival's doorway. They held their breath and listened to the sounds of Percival's footsteps as they got closer. There was the squeaking of a door being opened and then-

Splash.

"What the- Gwaine!!!"

Once Percival had stormed off, Merlin and Mordred allowed themselves to release their laughter. That was a classic, priceless prank. 

"We should probably leave before he comes back," Merlin said in between giggles.

"You're probably right," Mordred agreed.

And with that, they fled the crime scene. 

-

With all of Mordred's pranks, Merlin had begun to almost forget the reason she was feeling down in the first place. Almost. The day of Balinor's death came all too soon.

Merlin unconsciously fiddled with her dragon bracelet as she walked down the hallway to wake Arthur up. As she rounded a corner, she bumped into Sir Leon. Literally.

"Oh! Leon! I'm so sorry!"

"No, no, Merlin, you have nothing to apologize for. In fact, I should apologize for-"

"Leon you better not finish that sentence," Merlin warned.

"...Sorry. This is actually rather convenient because I was just looking for you."

"Really?"

"Yes, I wanted to check up on you... Preferably without the King glaring at me."

Merlin smiled sadly. "I'm as well as can be expected, but thank you, Leon."

"If you need anything, anything at all..."

"I'll find you," Merlin promised. "Well, I better go wake Arthur up."

"Right. I'll see you later then."

"Bye, Leon."

-

It rained again during training, but Leon's hair, to Leon's relief, did not straighten. Although, Mordred did admit to Merlin that the thought had crossed his mind. However, that did not mean that Mordred did not mess with anyone's hair. He had a job to do, after all.  This time, as Gwaine's hair dried, it became curly enough to rival Leon's.

If Leon was distressed by his hair transformation two days prior, it was nothing compared to Gwaine. "Is nothing sacred?" Gwaine cried, literally, as he stared at himself, or rather, his hair, in the mirror.

"It's not too bad," Merlin said, patting Gwaine's head.

"Not too bad? I look like Leon."

"I fail to see how that is a problem?" Leon said from across the armory.

"It's a problem because you are Leon and I am Gwaine. Leon looks like Leon and Gwaine looks like Gwaine. Gwaine is not supposed to look like Leon."

"Your logic is truly dizzying."

"Try shaking the curls out," Mordred suggested helpfully.

"I don't see how this is going to work, but... I'm desperate." Gwaine did as he was told, and with a silent flash of gold, his hair was back to normal. "What a relief."

"Now that that is over," Arthur spoke up for the first time, "you all get yourselves cleaned up. We have a court meeting in about two hours."

-

Everyone hated court meetings, even Arthur. Well, the Lords and Ladies did not seem to mind it, but that was likely because it was the only time they ever actually did anything important. The court consisted of King Arthur, the original Round Table knights, so Leon, Percival and Gwaine, plus Mordred as an honorary Round Table knight, as representatives, the nobility, the servants (who did not say anything and were just there for show), and Gaius and Geoffrey. 

Arthur was in the middle of speaking when the candles suddenly blew out, leaving the room in darkness, except for the little bit of light from the windows.