Sword in the Stone (1/2)

It had been about two months since the death of King Uther. His body had finally given up on him. Arthur was now the King of Camelot, and this was his first feast with that title.

The feast of Beltane. The half way point between the spring equinox and the summer solstice. All the members of the court, plus a few representatives from the knights, were in attendance. That is, all but one. Lord Agravaine was very noticeably missing.

The feast was going smoothly. Everyone was having a good time, even Merlin, who was stuck with wine duty. Then the alarm sounded.

"Sire!" Gwaine ran into the room, sword in hand. "We're under attack! They're within the city walls!"

Arthur immediately stood up and took off his decorative cape. "Merlin, get everyone to the inner chamber."

"Yes, Sire," Merlin said. "Everyone! Follow me!" Merlin led the court members out of the room.

Arthur jumped over the table and grabbed a sword. "Gwaine, secure the armory. Percival, with me!" Percival was one of the knights in attendance. He won the rock-paper-scissors battle.

In the inner chamber, Merlin helped Gaius with the wounded. "The lower town is lost. It's only a matter of time before they reach the citadel."

"But how did this happen?" Gaius asked. "How did they get in without being detected?"

"We knew Agravaine was planning something."

"It seems your worst fears have been realized."

"I need to go."

"Merlin?"

"I need to help Arthur!" With that, Merlin took off towards the exit.

Merlin found Arthur just as he was struck in the ribs by one of the Southrons, the people who were invading. They were likely under Morgause's command. Arthur elbowed the man in the face and ran down the corridor, clutching his side. Merlin intercepted him and pulled him around the corner. Arthur grunted in pain. "What are you doing here, Merlin? I told you to go to the inner chambers."

"No, you told me to take the court to the inner chambers. You never said anything about what to do  after that. Now come on! We need to get out of here!" Merlin shoved Arthur down the hall. Then she turned back to where Arthur had just come from and whispered a spell, causing the torches to create a barrier of fire.

"Are you alright?" Merlin asked Arthur as they ran down the hallway.

"I'm fine," Arthur said. Then he stopped running and leaned against a pillar, gasping in pain. "Maybe a broken rib or two."

Arthur peeked around the corner to see none other than Morgause leading the army of Southrons, with a man called Helios on her side. Arthur's expression morphed into that of shock when he saw Agravaine join Morgause, sword in hand, in the front. "Agravine," Arthur growled. Arthur's shocked expression turned into an angry one as he made a move to attack, but Merlin held him back.

"No! It's no good," she told him. "There are too many of them. We can deal with your uncle later, alright?"

Arthur calmed down a little. "Alright. Let's go."

Merlin led Arthur to the inner chamber and called for Gaius. Gaius immediately assessed the situation. "I can bind the ribcage, but even that would risk puncturing a lung."

"Do whatever it takes Gaius, as long as I can swing a sword."

"Arthur!" Morgana ran over, Gwen right behind her. "What's going on?" 

"It's Morgause. She's back, and she has help. Helios' army, and... Agravaine."

"Agravaine?" Morgana's reaction was very similar to Arthur's. "When I find him, I'm going stick a sword so far up his-"