Elyan

Merlin stood to the side of the room holding a pitcher as King Uther and Prince Arthur ate their morning meal. When Morgana entered the room and sat down, Merlin immediately went to fill her goblet. "Thank you," Morgana said kindly but absentmindedly. 

"Is something the matter?" Uther asked his ward.

"It's Gwen. She didn't show up for work today."

"That's not like her," Arthur commented.

"I know. It's strange. I hope nothing's wrong."

"You needn't worry," Uther told her. "After all, if your maid can no longer be relied upon, we can easily replace her."

"I'm sure she'll turn up soon enough," Arthur assured Morgana.

"I hope so."

-

After breakfast, Morgana pulled Merlin to the side. "Could you do me a favor?"

"What do you need?" Morgana asked.

"Could you go to Gwen's house and see if anything is wrong? I'm so worried."

"Of course! I'll be back soon, alright?"

"Oh, thank you, Merlin!"

-

Merlin knocked on the door of Gwen's cottage. "Gwen? Are you there?" When there was no response, Merlin opened the door and stepped inside. Merlin walked around Gwen's tidy living area to see if there were any clues for her friend's whereabouts. "Aha!" On the otherwise clean floor was a grey cloth with an odd odor. Merlin grabbed the cloth with two fingers and ran back to the castle.

"Look what I found!" Merlin told Morgana as she entered the room.

"What is it?" Morgana asked.

"I found it at Gwen's."

"It's a scrap of cloth. She's a seamstress."

Merlin grinned. "I'll show you. Follow me."

Merlin led Morgana to Arthur's chambers. "Merlin! Where have you been?" Arthur demanded.

"I've been helping Morgana since Gwen isn't here. Unless that's a problem?"

Arthur thought about it. "No. Not a problem," he said grudgingly. "But just this once."

"Good. Now smell this." Merlin thrust the cloth in Arthur's face.

"What? No."

"Just do it, Arthur," Morgana said.

Arthur took the cloth and inhaled deeply. Almost immediately, he passed out. Merlin used magic to slide a chair under him, catching his fall. 

"So what is it?" Morgana asked.

"A compound of hogswart and phylarian. A sleeping drug."

Arthur groaned. "Wha-" 

"Thanks Arthur! We've got to go! See you later!" Morgana said, pulling Merlin out of the room. 

-

It was about midday when they finally found Gwen. Morgana was gazing out the window while Merlin tidied up some things around the room. Suddenly, she perked up. "Merlin! It's Gwen!"

Merlin ran to the window and followed Morgana's line of vision. "You're right! It is her!" Together, the two women ran to the courtyard to greet their friend.

Gwen nearly cried in relief when she saw Merlin and Morgana. The latter of the two immediately enveloped her in a tight hug. Gwen buried her head in Morgana's shoulder, suppressing a sob. Merlin filled the space between them and studied Gwen to make sure she was alright. Besides being shaken up, Gwen seemed fine. That is, except for the bruises on her wrists. "Who did that to you?" Merlin asked.