Competition and Jealousy

Arthur crept through the woods, crossbow drawn. He aimed at the deer that was grazing in the clearing and-

"What is it?"

Startled, the deer ran off. Arthur looked at Merlin, exasperated. "You really are a total buffoon, aren't you, Merlin?"

"I was just asking," Merlin defended. Despite what Arthur thought, she knew exactly what she was doing. That dear was a beautiful creature and did not deserve to die.

"Who? Me or the deer? We're supposed to be hunting. It requires speed, stealth and an agile mind."

"So you're able to get by with two out of three then?" Merlin quipped. 

Arthur's retort was cut off by a woman's scream. Without a word, they both ran towards the source of the sound. There was a man and a young woman were being threatened at sword point by a group of bandits. "I beg you, Mercy!" The man said.

"Give us your money!" The head bandit said.

"Help! Help me!" The young woman cried.

Arthur shot one of the bandits with his crossbow and then drew his sword. Arthur took out two bandits at once, but then another one snuck up behind him. He was about to attack when Merlin caused a large tree branch to drop on top of him. Arthur turned around and looked at the fallen branch. "Huh. Stroke of luck," he said. He turned to the man and woman. "Are you alright? Were you hurt?"

The young woman faced Arthur and removed her hood to reveal a beautiful, pale, round face. "No... Thanks to you. I'm Sophia, and this is my father."

"Arthur Pendragon, at your service," Arthur said, bowing down to kiss her hand. Merlin scoffed at the smitten look on his face.

-

A few hours later, Sophia and her father stood before King Uther and his court in the throne room.  "My name is Aulfirc, heir to Tir-Mor," Sophia's father said. "This is my daughter, Sophia."

"You're a long way from home," Uther observed. "What brings you to Camelot?"

"Our home was sacked by raiders. We barely escaped with what few possessions we could carry."

"These are dangerous times. What will you do?" Uther asked.

We travelwest to Caerleon where we have family, and hopefully a new life."

"You must stay here awhile and rest for your journey. Noble families lie yours are always welcome in Camelot."

Arthur sighed in relief, not taking his eyes off of Sophia.  Merlin rolled her eyes.

Of course, Merlin was put in charge of preparing Sophia and Aulfirc's rooms. "Make sure you put her in a decent room," Arthur instructed once they arrived at Arthur's chambers. 

"The one next door's empty," Merlin noted.

"The one next door's fine... excellent in fact." Merlin raised an eyebrow. "Shut up, Merlin."

"What? I didn't say anything!" 

"You didn't have to. I want to make it very clear that my intentions towards Sophia are completely honorable. In fact, put her in a room on the opposite end of the castle. It's warmer. More comfortable."

"Of course. She is quite pretty."

"Yes, yes she is," Arthur smiled fondly.

"And if your intentions are honorable..."

"Oh, they are. Definitely."

"Then why do you not wish for her to be next door?"

"Alright, Merlin. You've convinced me. Put her in the room next to mine."