Ghosts

Merlin ran through the castle. It was a busy, busy day. All hands were on deck as the bustled around getting the entire castle ready for the Samhain feast. Merlin entered the kitchen, the busiest of all places. "Sorry," she apologized as she bumped into a servant.

"What are you doing in my kitchen?" Cook Audrey demanded, threatening Merlin with a ladle.

"Uh, the prince's shirt," Merlin said, her hand up in an "I'm innocent" fashion. Cook motioned to the clothesline by the pots. "Thank you!"

After Merlin grabbed Arthur's white shirt, she saw a shirt hook on a thin rope being lowered right in front of her face. Merlin looked up to see Gwaine and Percival looking down at her with matching mischievous grins. Gwaine put a finger to his lips and Merlin laughed. She attached one of the roasted chickens to the hook and tugged on the string. Gwaine sent her a wink. Merlin motioned for them to pull it up quickly and then hastily made her exit.

"Oi!" Cook yelled.

In the hallway, Merlin weaved through the crowd of servants. She looked back for one second, afraid that Cook might be chasing her, and bumped into a servant holding a pitcher of red wine. The wine spilled all over Arthur's white shirt. The servant continued on his way as if nothing happened. Merlin stared at the shirt. Or rather, she stared at the red spots that were now all over it.

"You could try a little salt," came a voice.

Merlin looked up to see Lancelot carrying a bunch of swords over his shoulder. 

"Arthur is going to kill me," Merlin said.

"Let's see." Lancelot pretended to study the shirt. "You've faced far worse, Merlin."

"He needs it for tonight," Merlin told him, panic evident in her voice.

"I'm sure a lady of your talents can think of something." Lancelot raised his eyebrows knowingly and then continued on his way.

Merlin's mouth formed the letter o as she realized what Lancelot had meant. "Fordwin wamm," Merlin whispered after checking to see if anyone was looking.

Lancelot stopped walking and turned around. Merlin showed him the clean shirt. He raised his arms as if to say, "see? What did I tell you."

-

Merlin found Arthur sitting at his desk with a frustrated look on his face. "What are you doing?" Merlin asked.

"I am trying to write a speech."

"Do you want help?"

"No."

"So you won't want this then." Merlin held up a scroll. Arthur looked up from the paper he was staring at. "I spent all night working on it."

Arthur took the scroll and skimmed over it with exaggerated dubiousness.

"What do you think?"

Arthur handed her the scroll back. "It needs polish."

"I'll add it to the list," Merlin said, taking it back.

Arthur looked at the half-written speech that he had been working on and tossed it to the side. As Merlin laid out  Arthur's clothes for the feast, Arthur teased, "Merlin, there aren't many servants who get the chance to write a prince's speech. Obviously it would be too much for you to say 'thank you.'"

Merlin stared at Arthur for a moment before picking up his dirty laundry and exiting the room, not bothering to reply. Once she was out of sight, Arthur allowed a fond smile to form on his face. 

In the hallways, Merlin bumped into Morgana, causing her to drop Arthur's clothes. Morgana helped her pick it up. "I am so sorry," Merlin apologized.