"What?? It's a prince thing, is it not? I thought you knew you'd have to eventually. It blows, but don't tell me you haven't had the time to come to terms with it." Harrison replied defensively, pushing Tom back in his place.

"Easy for you to say, you can marry whomever you please. I have to marry a stranger—"

"She won't be strange for long. She's arriving to court in two weeks."

"Two weeks? Who?"

"Your bride. Princess Zendaya of the—"

"I thought she wasn't of age—"

"She's not yet. In a few months she will be. Since you threw a hissy fit about getting to know her, they sent for her. They can plan the wedding while you sweep her off her feet." Harrison did a goofy eyebrow dance in attempts to soothe Tom. It didn't work as well as he hoped.

Tom growled and angrily tied up his horse, marching towards the entrance. "Where are my parents?"

"Throne room." Harrison called after him. He sighed deeply, stroking Tom's horse. "Ah, the price you pay...hey where's your crest?" He noted to make an order to the weaver to make a new one, figuring Tom had lost it on his little trip.

Meanwhile, Tom ignored anyone speaking to him as he rushed to the throne room, trying his hardest not to explode. He never normally got this angry, but he couldn't control his rough and rapid breathing. He burst through the doors, barely greeting the guards, and remained untouched by his parents shocked and relieved faces.

"Oh darling! Where were you?" His mother squealed as he entered.

"Why is the princess arriving here in two weeks?" Tom yelled, all of the tension in his body firing off like a canon.

"Oh Thomas, you wanted to get to know her. We figured you'd be happy—"

"I'm not happy, mother! I—"

The king stood suddenly, his stern voice nearly shaking the room as he spoke. "Happy or not you will meet her, court her, and at least pretend to enjoy her company, do I make myself clear, son?"

"Father—" Tom barely got out.

"This discussion is over! Go, tell your servants to help clean you up."

"Yes, father." Tom turned sharply, walking out slowly and weakly. Upon opening the door, he heard familiar voices scatter.

"Harry? Sam?"

Two heads peaked out from the corridor, shameful. The twins stepped forward to face their older brother, concerned.

"Tom, what's going on? Why were you missing?" Harry squeezed Tom's shoulder as they walked down the hall.

"Yeah, you look like you roughed it a bit." Sam added, staring at the cut in Tom's cheek.

"I'm fine, really. Just stressed that's all." Tom brushed them off.

"You know we really appreciate what you're doing." Sam hugged him tightly, stopping him from walking away.

"I don't understand." Tom said, lightly returning his brother's affections. He loved them dearly, but he wasn't in the mood.

"Don't you know the new law?" Harry raised an eyebrow.

"What law?" Tom asked glancing from one brother to the next, suddenly queasy.

Harry began to explain. "It's simple. There's four of us: me, you, Sam here, and Paddy. Zendaya's kingdom is joined with three other kingdoms in alliance. That's four in total—"

"So?"

"Father didn't tell you the good news?" Sam burst.

"No—what news??"

"Let me finish!" Harry hushed them. "The law says each son must join one kingdom or asset to his country by marriage, but father has since revised it. Since you're marrying into four kingdoms, that's enough for each of us!"

"What?" Tom couldn't begin to process it.

"We can marry whomever we please—as long as she's noble of course!" Sam hugged his brother again, making Tom feel even sicker.

"So, I'm marrying enough to cover all of you? That's it?" Tom blinked in wonder.

"Yes, that's right. The quantity is already being met with your marriage, so we get a little freedom." Harry nodded, smiling.

"So you all can marry...anyone?" Tom breathed.

"Well not anyone. Someone of noble birth. Unless there is other political gain. We wouldn't marry peasants unless for fear of a peasant revolt." Harry laughed. "They just don't have to have a kingdom or be a princess. Any lady will do."

Sam held tight to Tom's hand. "I really want to thank you, Tom. I was always worried about being betrothed. Now, because of you, we—"

Tom ripped his hand from Sam's grasp, deeply hurt. "You get the luxury of love while I must only do right by our kingdom is that it?"

"Tom—" Sam pleaded.

"I need to be alone." Tom briskly turned and walked away from them, his heart aching by their newfound excitement for the possibilities of love that he will never have freely. He thought of Beth as he climbed the stairs to his chamber, slowing his angry steps as he fought back the stubborn tears. The servants were there, having already been called to clean him, and he hadn't the heart to usher them out. He let them perform their duties, letting the sobs escape him while they watched in horror, as they were prohibited to ask him questions. He could hear their gossip on their way down the stairs as they left, but he was unbothered. He was numb to it all and craved the thing he knew could make him feel something.